POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Automatically downloading web pages? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Automatically downloading web pages? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Shay
Subject: Automatically downloading web pages?
Date: 16 Feb 2008 10:28:43
Message: <47b7012b$1@news.povray.org>
What I want to automate is the searching of three web pages daily (ebay,
cl Houston, cl Austin) for a specific bicycle and emailing to my wife if
that bicycle is found.

The web pages will always have the same address.

I think I've got the searching and emailing covered, but I don't know
how to get the pages downloaded to my computer so that I can perform the
  search.

Help or suggestions on any of this appreciated.

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

> I think I've got the searching and emailing covered, but I don't know
> how to get the pages downloaded to my computer so that I can perform the
>  search.

One word? wget.

Although - how are you doing the searching and emailing? If you're using
some scripting language, it's possible it already has downloading
capabilities.

Post a reply to this message

>> I think I've got the searching and emailing covered, but I don't know
>> how to get the pages downloaded to my computer so that I can perform
>> the  search.
>
> One word? wget.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

- Or curl
http://curl.haxx.se/

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

> What I want to automate is the searching of three web pages daily (ebay,
> cl Houston, cl Austin) for a specific bicycle and emailing to my wife if
> that bicycle is found.

> The web pages will always have the same address.

> I think I've got the searching and emailing covered, but I don't know
> how to get the pages downloaded to my computer so that I can perform the
>   search.

  You don't mention your operating system. That's a rather relevant
information in order to give a proper answer. (For example linux has
already all the necessary tools to do that, in Windows you probably
need to download additional software.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Deep in the caves of Dell'Hp T'osh Iba the being known as Shay
carved the sacred runes that meant:

> What I want to automate is the searching of three web pages daily (ebay,
> cl Houston, cl Austin) for a specific bicycle and emailing to my wife if
> that bicycle is found.
>
> The web pages will always have the same address.
>
> I think I've got the searching and emailing covered, but I don't know
> how to get the pages downloaded to my computer so that I can perform the
>   search.

How about HTTrack (if you're using Windows <=XP sp2)?

John

finished," then he sat down.