POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really epic Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Really epic (Message 36 to 45 of 55)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: Really epic
Date: 14 Feb 2008 15:31:22
Message: <47b4a51a$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>>>   I asked because 'let' sounded to me like an assignment, which is not
>>> functional.
>> I'm pretty sure you're right about Lisp. But in Haskell, it's not an
>> assignment - although it does look like one.
>
> In Scheme and Lisp, let introduces new lexical scoped bindings for values, just
> like in Haskell.  Except someone can use set! on them and break all referential
> transparency apart...

Ah, OK.

IIRC there's also a bunch of functions for modifying lists in-place that
Haskell also doesn't have...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 14 Feb 2008 15:33:08
Message: <47b4a583@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> In Scheme and Lisp, let introduces new lexical scoped bindings for values, just
> like in Haskell.  Except someone can use set! on them and break all referential
> transparency apart...

  Maybe I confused "let" with "set".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 14 Feb 2008 15:35:00
Message: <web.47b4a5b79e92b6c266f20de80@news.povray.org>
> Well, yes, but at the same time, there must be a definitive reference on
> it.  Or is it the "ipsum lorem" text that's considered definitive? ;-)

googled:
http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/bf/

I don't lose time with that kind of stuff...

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 14 Feb 2008 15:35:18
Message: <47b4a606$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I wonder what something along the lines of this would do:
>
> foo a =
>   let res = if a<2 then 1 else a*foo(a-1)
>   in res

Looks like YAFFI [Yet Another Factorial Function] to me. ;-)

[And yes, for anybody else reading it, it works just fine...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/