POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  CD collection (Message 81 to 90 of 166)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: CD collection
Date: 8 Feb 2008 21:45:27
Message: <47ad13c7@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> OK, when I scan my eyes across my CD collection, this is what I see:
>
> Enya
> Enigma
> ABBA
> ELO
> Pink Floyd
> The Beach Boys
> The Prodigy
> Catatonia [International Velvet]
> Madonna [Ray of Light]
> The Chemical Brothers
> Ace of Base
> 2 Unlimited
> Penulum [Hold Your Colour]
> Tangerine Dream
> Robert Miles
> Craftwerk
> Space [Spiders, Tin Planet]
> Alisha's Attick [Alisha Rules the World]
> Madness [Lovestruck]
> Dope Smugglaz [Double Double Dutch]
> Grove Armada [Best Of]
> They Might Be Giants
> Jem [Finally Woken]
> Natasha Beddingfield [Unwritten]
> Sonique [Hear My Cry]
> Smashmouth
> Gorillaz [Gorillaz]
> Holst [The Planets]
> Jerry Goldsmith [The Secret of NIMH soundtrack]
> John Williams [Star Wars I soundtrack]
> Howard Shore [LofR complete soundtrack]
> Jeff Wayne [War of the Worlds]
> The Trance Box
> Trance Euphoria
> Trance Anthems
>
> I'm not entirely sure how that lot doesn't spontaneously self-destruct
> just by being in such close proximity to each other, but anyway...

I don't think it's that strange a connection, it is  sort of diverse,
but in a way that I have seen before.  The TMBG album is a good key that
this is a "geek who likes listening to music" sort of collection, so
I've seen several of my friends showing similar tasted.  Any ones you're
particularly find of that I might take a listen to?

Also, why is Holst's The Planets always the only classical CD in these
collections, I don't get it.

> So, what's in *your* CD collection?

Hey, that's more fun than work, thanks for the excuse to procrastinate!

I've organized them a bit by category, and left out all MP3s, which I
probably account for 2/3 of my music volume.

--------------------[ rock-ish ]------------------------
Beatles [Magical Mystery Tour] (I need more Beatles music)
Blind Guardian [Nightfall in Middle Earth]
Dream Theater [Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes form a Memory]
Final Fantasy [Has a Good Home]
Godspeed You Black Emperor [Assorted CDs]
King Crimson [In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic]
Manu Chao [Clandestino]
Mars Volta [De-Loused in the Comatorium, Francis the Mute, Amputechture]
Mogwai [Mr. Beast]
Offspring [Smash]
Pink Floyd [Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here]
Radiohead [The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A]
Raffi [Baby Belua]
Saint Rorschach [Transference]
Sigur Ros [Takk]
Steve Burns [Songs for Dustmites]
We vs. Death [We Too Are Concerned, We Are Too Concerned]
Yes [Close to the Edge]

----------------------[ classical ]-----------------------
Achron [Violin Concerto, The Golem Suite, Excerpts from Belshazzar]
Alkan [Etudes Op.39, assorted other piano works]
Bach (JS) [Passions, concertos, organ works, violin works, etc.]
Bartok [Violin Sonatas]
Beethoven [Symphonies, Missa Solemnis, Concertos, String Quartets, etc.]
Brahms [Symphonies, Concertos, German Requiem, etc.]
Busoni [Concerto, assorted piano works]
Chopin [Most of it, excepting concertos (which are MP3)]
Debussy [La Mer, Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune]
Dvorak [Symphonies Nos. 8 & 9, Te Deum, Cypresses, String Quartet No.14]
Franck [Organ Music]
Glass [String Quartets]
Glazounov [The Seasons]
Godowsky [Studies on Chopin's Etudes]
Gorecki [Symphony No.3]
Grieg [Peer Gynt, Piano Concerto, etc.]
Janacek [String Quartets, Violin Sonata, piano music, Glagolitic Mass]
Khachaturian [Piano Concerto]
Kapustin [Piano music]
Ligeti [Requiem, orchestral music, piano music]
Litolff [Concerto Symphonique Nos. 2 & 4]
Liszt [Piano music, Organ music, Faust Symphony]
Lutoslawski [Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4]
Medtner [Piano Sonatas, Forgotten Melodies]
Mendelssohn [Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4, The Hebrides Overture]
Messian [Quartet for the End of Time]
Mozart [Late Symphonies, assorted concertos, etc.]
Nielsen [Symphonies Nos. 1-3]
Orff [Carmina Burana]
Pendrecki [Threnody, Symphony, etc.]
Poulenc [Piano Concertos, Organ Concerto, assorted other]
Prokofiev [Piano Concerto No. 3]
Rachmaninov [Piano Concertos, Symphony No. 2, The Rock]
Reger [Assorted organ works]
Reich [Different Trains]
Rimsky-Korsakov [Scheherazade, Russian Easter Festival Overture]
Rodrigo [Guitar Concertos]
Rzewski [The People United Will Never Be Defeated]
Saint-Saens [Piano Concertos]
Schubert [Piano music, Symphony No. 9, String Quartets, assorted songs,
etc.]
Schumann [Piano music]
Scriabin [Piano sonatas]
Shostakovich [String Quartets]
Sieblius [Symphonies Nos. 4 & 5]
Smetata [Ma Vlast]
Sorabji [Transcendental Studies Nos. 1-25]
Strauss (Richard) [Symphonic Poems, Metamorphosen, Four Last Songs, etc.]
Stravinsky [The Rite of Spring, Petrushka, Violin Concerto]
Tchaikovski [Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6, Swan Lake Suite, Nutcracker Suite]
Turnage [Fractured Lines]
Villa-Lobos [Piano music]
Ysaye [Violin Sonatas]

-------------[ Multi-composer classical CDs ]-------------
Glazunov & Goedicke Piano Concertos
Korngold & Marx Piano Concertos
Rubinstein & Scharwenka Piano Concertos
Misc other compilations

Bizet [Carmen]
Glass [Einstein on the Beach] (sort of an opera)
Mussorgsky [Boris Godounov]
Poulenc [Dialogues of the Carmelites]
Purcell [Dido and Aeneas]
Wagner [Ring Cycle, Parsafal]

I've obviously heard more than is listed here, but suggestions for
things I'm not familiar with that I should listen to are welcome.

Post a reply to this message