POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's a riddle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  It's a riddle (Message 11 to 20 of 62)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: It's a riddle
Date: 7 Feb 2008 02:51:14
Message: <47aab872$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> The "'s" (i.e. "of") need not always indicate possession; "a day's work"
> doesn't mean the day owns the work. A "day's work" is "work _of_ a day('s
> worth)", a "week's notice" is "a notice _of_ a week('s duration)"...

Which is possession.  "The property of Tim" is grammatically equivalent
to "Tim's property".  "A day's work", as shorthand for "a day's worth of
work", that is to say, is equivalent to "the worth of a day of work";
the day possesses the *value* of the work done.

...I think.

I just made myself really confused trying to re-read that, so I'll shut
up now.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com