POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd - It's a sad, sad thing Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  xkcd - It's a sad, sad thing (Message 1 to 10 of 33)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: xkcd - It's a sad, sad thing
Date: 6 Feb 2008 07:21:01
Message: <47a9a62d$1@news.povray.org>
Today's:

http://xkcd.com/380/

I actually looked up what U+FDD0 was in the unicode charts. Now I don't
know whether to hang my head in shame, or hold it high and proud.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Subject: Re: xkcd - It's a sad, sad thing
Date: 6 Feb 2008 13:17:17
Message: <47A9F9BC.70707@hotmail.com>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Today's:
>
> http://xkcd.com/380/
>
> I actually looked up what U+FDD0 was in the unicode charts. Now I don't
> know whether to hang my head in shame, or hold it high and proud.
Sorry, you lost me totally here. I don't seem to understand this
emoticon.png nor see I any connection to U+FDD0.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Feb 2008 13:33:12
Message: <47a9fd68$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:17:32 +0100, andrel wrote:

> nor see I any connection to U+FDD0.

Hover your mouse over the comic.

Though admittedly, I don't understand the joke either...

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 6 Feb 2008 13:34:55
Message: <47a9fdcf$1@news.povray.org>

47A### [at] hotmailcom...
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> Today's:
>>
>> http://xkcd.com/380/
>>
>> I actually looked up what U+FDD0 was in the unicode charts. Now I don't
>> know whether to hang my head in shame, or hold it high and proud.
> Sorry, you lost me totally here. I don't seem to understand this
> emoticon.png nor see I any connection to U+FDD0.

It's in the alt text, and it's a Harry Potter reference.

G.

--
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 6 Feb 2008 16:22:07
Message: <47AA250E.6060506@hotmail.com>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> 47A### [at] hotmailcom...
>> Mike Raiford wrote:
>>> Today's:
>>>
>>> http://xkcd.com/380/
>>>
>>> I actually looked up what U+FDD0 was in the unicode charts. Now I don't
>>> know whether to hang my head in shame, or hold it high and proud.
>> Sorry, you lost me totally here. I don't seem to understand this
>> emoticon.png nor see I any connection to U+FDD0.
>
> It's in the alt text, and it's a Harry Potter reference.

I see it now, and it begins to make sense. Yet, I am starting to feel
quite old. I found most of the xkcd and bash references posted recently
not funny at all, not even for a brief smile actually. So I assume I
have lost all my connections to the real world of young people. :(

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 6 Feb 2008 16:38:59
Message: <47aa28f3$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

> I see it now, and it begins to make sense. Yet, I am starting to feel
> quite old. I found most of the xkcd and bash references posted recently
> not funny at all, not even for a brief smile actually. So I assume I
> have lost all my connections to the real world of young people. :(

"Real world" and "bash.org" in the same sentence... advanced!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Kyle
Date: 6 Feb 2008 16:50:07
Message: <jkakq3pbbq3veaovcmeninabur3gnkg2lt@4ax.com>
On 6 Feb 2008 13:33:12 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:17:32 +0100, andrel wrote:
>
>> nor see I any connection to U+FDD0.
>
>Hover your mouse over the comic.
>
>Though admittedly, I don't understand the joke either...
>
>Jim

Wow, that's allot to do to get the joke.

1) Read the comic, don't understand.
2) Hover to read the ALT text, as Jim pointed out.
3) View properties because ALT text is too damn long.
4) Google basilisk.
5) Read Wikipedia article about basilisk.
6) Make the connections to the comic in my mind.
7) Realize I just wasted a few more minutes of my life figuring out a comic that is
not funny.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 6 Feb 2008 16:55:19
Message: <47aa2cc7$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:

> Wow, that's allot to do to get the joke.
>
> 1) Read the comic, don't understand.
> 2) Hover to read the ALT text, as Jim pointed out.
> 3) View properties because ALT text is too damn long.
> 4) Google basilisk.
> 5) Read Wikipedia article about basilisk.
> 6) Make the connections to the comic in my mind.
> 7) Realize I just wasted a few more minutes of my life figuring out a comic that is
not funny.

Yeah, it's not terribly amusing this time around. Some are, some aren't.
[I can, however, guarantee that every single comment generates at least
one "OMG, best xkcd ever!!!eleven!" comment in the forums.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Feb 2008 17:06:36
Message: <47aa2f6c@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:50:06 -0500, Kyle wrote:

> On 6 Feb 2008 13:33:12 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:17:32 +0100, andrel wrote:
>>
>>> nor see I any connection to U+FDD0.
>>
>>Hover your mouse over the comic.
>>
>>Though admittedly, I don't understand the joke either...
>>
>>Jim
>
> Wow, that's allot to do to get the joke.
>
> 1) Read the comic, don't understand.
> 2) Hover to read the ALT text, as Jim pointed out. 3) View properties
> because ALT text is too damn long. 4) Google basilisk.
> 5) Read Wikipedia article about basilisk. 6) Make the connections to the
> comic in my mind. 7) Realize I just wasted a few more minutes of my life
> figuring out a comic that is not funny.

Well, I do know what a basilisk is, and by the most amazing coincidence,
I get the joke now.  What's more, I even find it to be somewhat funny,
but I think it'd have been funnier if the person had turned to stone as a
result.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 7 Feb 2008 03:19:10
Message: <47aabefe@news.povray.org>
> Well, I do know what a basilisk is, and by the most amazing coincidence,
> I get the joke now.

  I still don't.

--
                                                          - Warp