POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trying to remember names of books... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Trying to remember names of books... (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Darren New
Subject: Trying to remember names of books...
Date: 6 Feb 2008 00:29:15
Message: <47a945ab$1@news.povray.org>
... that I read a long time ago. Science fiction books. English
language, obviously.

One was called, I think, "Marooned on Vesta" or something. Principle
character gets left on a planet with very large (anthropomorphized)
ants. Discovers they read minds. Discovers it's something in their food
that allows it.

One involved a man who buries himself in an underground crypt and takes
a sedative which, due to having no outside influences/UV/sunlight/cosmic
rays/etc, puts him in suspended animation until his
underground-stream-driven clock wakes him with a UV light 5000 years
later. He keeps coming up to check how the world is, until he gets to
where people have invented immortality, including a bout with some
nutcase chasing him in a war-of-the-worlds-style tripod machine.

One involving a man and his two kids getting abducted by a spaceship and
taken off to Phobos, which turns out to be a giant artificial
intelligence robot built by the now-extince martians. Abducted so the
machine can study them. Run into a sailor who was abducted many years
ago. Manage to escape and get back home, having destroyed Phobos. Title
something like "Phobos Is Missing."

One I only ever so vaguely remember, with children visiting a planet
where friendly humanoid aliens live. A garden planet criss-crossed with
transparent shuttle-tubes. I have the memory of the aliens being not
unlike the Great Gazoo from Flintstones in appearance, only of course a
reasonable size. The impression it was part of a series. Of interest
only because I still remember it for some reason. :-)

Do these sound familiar to anybody? Any idea which author might have
written such stuff?

I finally found Bliss' "Starship" and Lester Del Ray's "Runaway Robot",
and found a copy of "Continent of Lies", but these I just haven't been
able to track down.  I haven't been able to find a copy of "Robots Have
No Tails" for a reasonable price, either.

Thanks for any brainstorms you might have.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Post a reply to this message

> I finally found Bliss' "Starship" and Lester Del Ray's "Runaway Robot",
> and found a copy of "Continent of Lies", but these I just haven't been
> able to track down.  I haven't been able to find a copy of "Robots Have
> No Tails" for a reasonable price, either.

I can't help with the synopses, but for finding books have you tried

http://www.abebooks.com/

? I find it very useful.