POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VS Express editions? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  VS Express editions? (Message 21 to 23 of 23)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: VS Express editions?
Date: 4 Feb 2008 12:58:48
Message: <47a75258$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> It has been possible to make the whole window transparent, since Windows
> 2000. There's just no UI for it, so you need some 3rd party app like
> PowerMenu. Also, there's obviously no blurred transparency. I have found
> this is really useful to avoid getting distracted by whatever is on the
> background.

Yep, I've played with the transparency in 2000, usually wound up hating
it enough that I'd turn off whatever add-on allowed me to do it. :)

> http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/blur.png
> http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/blur_wp.png

That's the effect. That's what I call translucent, different from
transparent in my mind. Transparent infers no diffusion of the object
underlying.

> Also, did you see the eye candy of Compiz? Way more effects than Vista
> (and in fact a Flip3D-like plugin already exists for it). And written in
> plain C (not even C++!), instead of needing .NET for writing new effects...
>
>> I'm also quite happy to see they added the ability to change the color
>> the windows title bars. Which I sort of missed in XP.
>
> I never run Windows on its default skin anyway. uxtheme patch ftw. My
> current look:
> http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/lunaelement5.png (LE5 also available in
> black)

Looks very similar to Vista. Still, you have to swap themes in order to
adjust the colors.

Post a reply to this message