POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : new news client Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  new news client (Message 41 to 50 of 60)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: new news client
Date: 26 Jan 2008 16:07:20
Message: <479ba108$1@news.povray.org>
bluetree wrote:
>> Those darned admins.  At my job, they block the NNTP protocol, so I
>> can't read ng with anything other than the web interface :(
>
> ^^
> They want you to work at work. ;)

Anyone who thinks that POV-Ray isn't work doesn't love it enough :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 26 Jan 2008 16:20:01
Message: <web.479ba37eade97551863b65e70@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
> > http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html
> >
> > I've used this myself when I absolutely needed the ability to use NNTP
> > and the port was blocked.
>
> Umm... no thanks.  I'd rather not lose my job if they find out I've
> installed custom software to bypass their security :)

yes.  That's why I thought it'd be great to use Lotus Notes... :))

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 26 Jan 2008 16:31:07
Message: <479ba69b$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> Those darned admins.  At my job, they block the NNTP protocol, so I
> can't read ng with anything other than the web interface :(

You install OpenSSH server at your home-PC, make sure that you have
route from work to the homebox and enchant "ssh -L 119:203.29.75.35:119"

And if you'll close the SSH-connection, there's no route to the news
server either.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
> >
> > Those darned admins.  At my job, they block the NNTP protocol, so I
> > can't read ng with anything other than the web interface :(
> >

> You install OpenSSH server at your home-PC, make sure that you have
> route from work to the homebox and enchant "ssh -L 119:203.29.75.35:119"

> And if you'll close the SSH-connection, there's no route to the news
> server either.

diabolical plans to postpone work.  Learned from the BOFH? ;)

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:06:59 -0800, Chambers wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html
>>
>> I've used this myself when I absolutely needed the ability to use NNTP
>> and the port was blocked.
>
> Umm... no thanks.  I'd rather not lose my job if they find out I've
> installed custom software to bypass their security :)

Well, there is that.  I've always gotten permission first before using
something like this.

Jim

Post a reply to this message