POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question of the day... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Question of the day... (Message 77 to 86 of 86)
From: bluetree
Subject: Re: Question of the day...
Date: 1 Feb 2008 01:35:00
Message: <web.47a2bd4de1d0580a2b78a1fe0@news.povray.org>
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:21:10 -0500, bluetree wrote:
>
> > What a choice.
> > Be a good person and you'll visit Fawlty Towers. Be a bad person and
> > you'll have to visit Fawlty Towers. I would choose to stay in that
> > transportation vehicle in between. A neverending passenger. Perhaps I
> > could play the deamon in a box. ;)
> >
> > Regards
> >          bluetree
>
> Maybe the difference is being Sybil vs. one of the guests. ;-)
>
> Jim

And which way around? ^^
Being Sybil is heaven or hell? ;)

Regards
           bluetree

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 1 Feb 2008 04:01:06
Message: <op.t5t8n8mmc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:21:10 -0000, bluetree <nomail@nomail> did
spake, saying:

> What a choice.
> Be a good person and you'll visit Fawlty Towers.
> Be a bad person and you'll have to visit Fawlty Towers.
> I would choose to stay in that transportation vehicle in between.

Oh you've played Half-Life then :-)

> A neverending passenger. Perhaps I could play the deamon in a box. ;)

Much more fun.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 1 Feb 2008 06:11:08
Message: <op.t5ueprh4c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 03:43:19 -0000, Patrick Elliott
<sel### [at] rraznet> did spake, saying:

> In article <op.t5snsscwc3xi7v@news.povray.org>,
> phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk says...
>> Apart from the "make thing up" bit yep. If you have to make something up
>> to fill the gaps then you can be accused of lying; much more
>> satisfactory
>> to be misinterpreted instead.
>>
> Ah, but only by people that *know* what actually exists in the gaps. The
> trick is to find some legitimate gap that they can't fill either, then
> stuff a purple pokadot unicorn into it, or what ever the equivalent is
> in the subject you are trying to spin your way. If it "sounds" like you
> have an answer, while the other side honestly says they don't, but at
> looking, a lot of people that don't know any better will fall for
> "your" version of it. Well, most people, especially when political
> decisions are involved, don't have a clue what is in the gaps, where
> they are, how big they are, or even if they exist at all, but they got
> one clown up there spinning like a top and insisting they do know that
> gaps exist, and they personally, or their team, or what ever, *knows*
> exactly what fits in the hole.

For a professional there are no gaps. You either ignore them as if they
weren't there, or skip over them as if they were unimportant. If some
busybody dares point one out you can 'not see it', 'not understand it', or
'act confused that the questioner can't see the obvious connection'. At
which point the busybody has to repeat it, explain it, or back-down; which
offers an opportunity to spin whatever they said into your message or
ignore it.

> To be clear, the origin of the descriptions I gave are from a book
> written by one of those people that run satire on Comedy Central, so it
> *is* politics that they describe.

Except European politics are, by defintion, more sophisticated with
greater degrees of subtlety :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

"Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
> And lo on Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:21:10 -0000, bluetree <nomail@nomail> did
> spake, saying:
>
> > What a choice.
> > Be a good person and you'll visit Fawlty Towers.
> > Be a bad person and you'll have to visit Fawlty Towers.
> > I would choose to stay in that transportation vehicle in between.
>
> Oh you've played Half-Life then :-)

The game? ;-)

> > A neverending passenger. Perhaps I could play the deamon in a box. ;)
>
> Much more fun.

Yeeeees. I would give the other passengers a foretaste of what might come.
*evilsmile*

Regards
         bluetree

Post a reply to this message

> "Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>> And lo on Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:21:10 -0000, bluetree <nomail@nomail> did
>> spake, saying:
>>
>> > What a choice.
>> > Be a good person and you'll visit Fawlty Towers.
>> > Be a bad person and you'll have to visit Fawlty Towers.
>> > I would choose to stay in that transportation vehicle in between.
>>
>> Oh you've played Half-Life then :-)
>
> The game? ;-)
>
>> > A neverending passenger. Perhaps I could play the deamon in a box. ;)
>>
>> Much more fun.
>
> Yeeeees. I would give the other passengers a foretaste of what might
> come.
> *evilsmile*

Tell them they'll be cake.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:33:49 -0500, bluetree wrote:

>> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:21:10 -0500, bluetree wrote:
>>
>> > What a choice.
>> > Be a good person and you'll visit Fawlty Towers. Be a bad person and
>> > you'll have to visit Fawlty Towers. I would choose to stay in that
>> > transportation vehicle in between. A neverending passenger. Perhaps I
>> > could play the deamon in a box. ;)
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >          bluetree
>>
>> Maybe the difference is being Sybil vs. one of the guests. ;-)
>>
>> Jim
>
> And which way around? ^^
> Being Sybil is heaven or hell? ;)

LOL, good point.  I'm thinking it'd be heaven, but for Basil having to
deal with her makes his position hell.  For the customers, it'd be the
other way around.

Now I need to watch those again, particularly The Germans. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> > Yeeeees. I would give the other passengers a foretaste of what might
> > come.
> > *evilsmile*
>
> Tell them they'll be cake.

And that some fellow deamons have to bake them? ;)
Ok. I'll do... (as far as I'll remember it and nobody will kick me out of the
vehicle first). ^^

Regards
           bluetree

Post a reply to this message

> On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:33:49 -0500, bluetree wrote:
>
> > Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

> >> Maybe the difference is being Sybil vs. one of the guests. ;-)
> >>
> >> Jim
> >
> > And which way around? ^^
> > Being Sybil is heaven or hell? ;)
>
> LOL, good point.  I'm thinking it'd be heaven, but for Basil having to
> deal with her makes his position hell.  For the customers, it'd be the
> other way around.
>
> Now I need to watch those again, particularly The Germans. :-)
>
> Jim

To tell the truth: I haven't seen all episodes of Fawlty Towers.
But there is a weak memory of this episode... (I watched it a very, very,
veeeery looooong time ago.) :-)
Reading "The Germans" in Wikipedia I think to remember the moose and the face of
the guests,
when Basil talks about war all time. ^^
Yeeees, I remember it. :-D

Regards
          blutree

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:30:55 -0500, bluetree wrote:

> To tell the truth: I haven't seen all episodes of Fawlty Towers. But
> there is a weak memory of this episode... (I watched it a very, very,
> veeeery looooong time ago.)

We've got the DVDs, which makes it easier to rewatch. :-)

> Reading "The Germans" in Wikipedia I think to remember the moose and the
> face of the guests,
> when Basil talks about war all time. ^^ Yeeees, I remember it. :-D

Yes, it is rather classic Cleese.  Especially the bit where he starts
goosestepping.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk says...
> And lo on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 03:43:19 -0000, Patrick Elliott
> <sel### [at] rraznet> did spake, saying:
>
> > In article <op.t5snsscwc3xi7v@news.povray.org>,
> > phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk says...
> >> Apart from the "make thing up" bit yep. If you have to make something
up
> >> to fill the gaps then you can be accused of lying; much more
> >> satisfactory
> >> to be misinterpreted instead.
> >>
> > Ah, but only by people that *know* what actually exists in the gaps. Th
> > trick is to find some legitimate gap that they can't fill either, then
> > stuff a purple pokadot unicorn into it, or what ever the equivalent is
> > in the subject you are trying to spin your way. If it "sounds" like you
> > have an answer, while the other side honestly says they don't, but at
> > looking, a lot of people that don't know any better will fall for
> > "your" version of it. Well, most people, especially when political
> > decisions are involved, don't have a clue what is in the gaps, where
> > they are, how big they are, or even if they exist at all, but they got
> > one clown up there spinning like a top and insisting they do know that
> > gaps exist, and they personally, or their team, or what ever, *knows*
> > exactly what fits in the hole.
>
> For a professional there are no gaps. You either ignore them as if they

> weren't there, or skip over them as if they were unimportant. If some
> busybody dares point one out you can 'not see it', 'not understand it', o
> 'act confused that the questioner can't see the obvious connection'. At

> which point the busybody has to repeat it, explain it, or back-down; whic
> offers an opportunity to spin whatever they said into your message or
> ignore it.

Or pretend it never happened. Want a good example of that, try this
article and the links to a) the radio show, and b) the *archived*
version of the Uncommon(ly) D(umb)escent's inexplicably missing thread
on it:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/02/thats_some_memory_hole.php

Having lost, Dembski and the rest basically just deleted all the
evidence on their own site, and are desperately trying to pretend it
never happened. lol I suspect any day know they will try to sue the
people that archived it on grounds of copyright, the same way they
recently tried to prevent access to videos about some of their previous
stupidities (on the grounds they contain images they copyright.
Specifically a photo of the nimrod they had mangle science for them in
the original speech being lambasted). Or, in the second case, they
supposedly object because *they* claim to own the video, which
*actually* contains version *they* stoled from a major university, then
redubbed to make it sound like it defended Intelligent Design, instead
of saying stuff, in the full version with voice overs, that is
*completely* contradictory to it. Its really getting damn bizarre in the
US with these ID-iots. Claim they have proof, steal other people's
stuff, quietly hide it, then threaten to sue anyone that remembers,
while steal something from someone else, rinse and repeat. And that is
when they try to use other people's work without permission. The rest of
the time they just find some wacko nut, like this doctor, who will
babble a lot of stuff, then insist his *entire* reason for thinking he
knows anything is reading "one" article in a third hand science paper,
which is written to help even lay people understand science (and which
this moron fails to manage, despite this fact). lol

Frankly, this has *got* to be the most stupid thing I have seen them do
though. Its literally like they can't learn anything, from each other,
or even from the dozens of other fools that have tried to revise history
or hide facts on the internet, by either suing it out of existence,
deleting it from their own sites, or demanding its removal. One wonders
how long it took any of them to be potty trained, let alone figure out
something as complicated as tying shoe laces. ;)

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();