POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A-HA! Gravitational lensing does show up as a ring! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  A-HA! Gravitational lensing does show up as a ring! (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: A-HA! Gravitational lensing does show up as a ring!
Date: 11 Jan 2008 23:18:33
Message: <47883f98@news.povray.org>
http://www.spacetelescope.org/news/html/heic0803.html

Years ago, when I first heard about the possibility of gravitational
lensing, where a star bends the light around it, I saw a really sloppily
done graphic.  The graphic implied you  would only get two points, left and
right to the star.  I immediately thought there ought to be a ring. The
article I read seemed to confirm that you'd get one image superimposed to
the left and right.   I then assumed there was some property of light or
gravity or magnetism I didn't know about, or the graphic  designer and/or
the article writer didn't know what they were talking about.

They didn't!

They're called Einstein RINGS!

Post a reply to this message