POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Torque: any users? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Torque: any users? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Torque: any users?
Date: 5 Jan 2008 00:12:04
Message: <477f11a3@news.povray.org>
Anyone using it?
Any open source parallel path to it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_Game_Engine

Post a reply to this message

From: Rune
Subject: Re: Torque: any users?
Date: 5 Jan 2008 05:40:26
Message: <477f5e9a$1@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> Anyone using it?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_Game_Engine

I haven't used it but I've heard a lot about it. There's many good things
about it, but it is a deriviative of the engine from Tribes 2 and as such is
most suitable for first person shooter type games. Many different games can
be made with it, but it is not as general-purpose in its basic form as one
could have wished.

> Any open source parallel path to it?

I don't know if there is a "parallel"; probably not. A good open source
graphics engine is Ogre3D, which has a very flexible and well structured
architecture (though it doesn't support any of the consoles). I have used it
myself. It's just a graphics engine though - you need to combine it with
other engines yourself, such as physics, networking and sound. It also
doesn't come with any form of level editor.

A game engine I know little about, but which may be worth examining is
http://www.truevision3d.com/ - it's not open source, but it costs only $150
and you can use it for free as long as you don't sell your game (small
watermark will be placed in the corner).

I know a lot of ex-Torque users who have migrated to using Unity instead
(http://www.unity3d.com) and are very happy with it, due to things being a
lot easier there. See the stories in this thread:
http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=8318 particularly the message by
MartinSchultz, which used Torque for six years before going with Unity.
Unity costs $150 for an indie license though (30 day free trial) and so far
the IDE runs on Mac OS X only.

Sorry for writing a few things you didn't specifically ask for, but it might
be worth knowing.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com