POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestions: Text editors Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Suggestions: Text editors (Message 51 to 58 of 58)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Suggestions: Text editors
Date: 4 Jan 2008 00:36:17
Message: <477dc5d1$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> I like hypertext.

Hypertext is great for reference. It's lousy when you're trying to
figure out you've read the whole thing.

Similarly, I like both index *and* table of contents in my textbooks. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 7 Jan 2008 03:24:19
Message: <4781e1b3$1@news.povray.org>
>I used to use Notepad to write everything. As some of you might know,
> Notepad sucks.

I use TextPad.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 9 Jan 2008 20:25:02
Message: <478573ee$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Every software has its quirks.  Read that as "Yank 3 blocks", "}" used because
> of its widespread use in computer programming as a block terminator.  Now, I
> understand "CTRL+C" as copy, because of C, but why Paste uses "v"?!  quirks...

Often used operations like Cut, Copy and Paste should be easy to do,
so it is wise to choose keys for those that are close to a special key,
like e.g. Ctrl.

The X, C and V keys are next to each others and so close to Ctrl that
you can keep your little finger on Ctrl while pressing them.

If you are writing on paper you can indicate were some text is to be
inserted by drawing something similar to a V between two words and a
little bit above them, and then the text to be inserted above the V.
V is therefore not a bad choice for Paste.

If you want to remove some text you could draw something similar to an
X over it. X is therefore not a bad choice for Cut.

And then you have C that is easy to remember as an abbreviation for
Copy.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

> The X, C and V keys are next to each others and so close to Ctrl that
> you can keep your little finger on Ctrl while pressing them.

That works great (NOT) in Dvorak keyboards, though.

Post a reply to this message

> V is therefore not a bad choice for Paste.
> X is therefore not a bad choice for Cut.

Mmmmm. Geek ret-conning. :-)