POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random interjection: the Halting Problem Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  A random interjection: the Halting Problem (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: A random interjection: the Halting Problem
Date: 30 Dec 2007 03:52:10
Message: <47775c3a@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Which has the implication that computers will never be capable of
> handling the process of software engineering without some level of human
> assistance.

  Humans are bound to the same limitations as computers. If it has been
proven that a certain problem is not solvable, a human cannot solve it
either.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 30 Dec 2007 06:03:04
Message: <47777AF1.6090802@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Which has the implication that computers will never be capable of
>> handling the process of software engineering without some level of human
>> assistance.
>
>   Humans are bound to the same limitations as computers. If it has been
> proven that a certain problem is not solvable, a human cannot solve it
> either.

See, sometimes we do agree ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 30 Dec 2007 10:47:19
Message: <4777bd87$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Humans are bound to the same limitations as computers. If it has been
> proven that a certain problem is not solvable, a human cannot solve it
> either.

Curiosly, they just happen to be having this exact debate on one of the
Haskell mailing lists right now. (Evidently some people actually believe
that the human mind is capable of deductions that are beyond
Turing-completeness. Naturally, they offer no basis for this belief
beyond the fact that computers don't program themselves yet...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> that the human mind is capable of deductions that are beyond
> Turing-completeness.

  "Turing-completeness" doesn't mean "can calculate everything that can
be calculated", but "can calculate everything a Turing machine can calculate".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> that the human mind is capable of deductions that are beyond
>> Turing-completeness.
>
>   "Turing-completeness" doesn't mean "can calculate everything that can
> be calculated", but "can calculate everything a Turing machine can calculate".

Are you saying there are things that can be calculated but not by a
Turing machine?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/