POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Minority Report anyone? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Minority Report anyone? (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Rune
Subject: Minority Report anyone?
Date: 23 Dec 2007 07:12:12
Message: <476e509c@news.povray.org>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/21/AR2007122102544_pf.html

"The FBI is embarking on a $1 billion effort to build the world's largest
computer database of peoples' physical characteristics, a project that would
give the government unprecedented abilities to identify individuals in the
United States and abroad.

(...) In the coming years, law enforcement authorities around the world will
be able to rely on iris patterns, face-shape data, scars and perhaps even
the unique ways people walk and talk, to solve crimes and identify criminals
and terrorists. The FBI will also retain, upon request by employers, the
fingerprints of employees who have undergone criminal background checks so
the employers can be notified if employees have brushes with the law."

Hello Big Brother...

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message

> "The FBI is embarking on a $1 billion effort to build the world's largest
> computer database of peoples' physical characteristics, a project that would
> give the government unprecedented abilities to identify individuals in the
> United States and abroad.
>
> (...) In the coming years, law enforcement authorities around the world will
> be able to rely on iris patterns, face-shape data, scars and perhaps even
> the unique ways people walk and talk, to solve crimes and identify criminals
> and terrorists. The FBI will also retain, upon request by employers, the
> fingerprints of employees who have undergone criminal background checks so
> the employers can be notified if employees have brushes with the law."
>
> Hello Big Brother...

Hello Big Brother, you say, but *I* say...it would be interesting to
take the data and average each set to get a composite 'American' of each
gender.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com

Post a reply to this message

"Rune" <aut### [at] runevisioncom> wrote in message

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/21/AR2007122102
544_pf.html

> "The FBI is embarking on a $1 billion effort to build the world's largest
> computer database of peoples' physical characteristics, a project that
would
> give the government unprecedented abilities to identify individuals in the
> United States and abroad.

Oh my. I so want to know how they're going to store and search that volume
of data. Facial recognition is still a 'difficult' problem in AI

Post a reply to this message