POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small statistics question Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  A small statistics question (Message 1 to 10 of 29)
From: Invisible
Subject: A small statistics question
Date: 26 Nov 2007 05:36:26
Message: <474aa1aa$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so unlike the Euler project, *this* question has some practical use. ;-)

Anybody have any idea how I can make a program generate random numbers
between 30 and 30,000, but so that "most" of the numbers generated are
actually in the range 100 - 400?

Post a reply to this message

> OK, so unlike the Euler project, *this* question has some practical use.
> ;-)
>
> Anybody have any idea how I can make a program generate random numbers
> between 30 and 30,000, but so that "most" of the numbers generated are
> actually in the range 100 - 400?

Did you look in POV-Ray rand.inc? :-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

That's cute. No, I didn't - I'm at work right now. :-P

Besides, I doubt that precise distribution is present. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> Anybody have any idea how I can make a program generate random numbers
> between 30 and 30,000, but so that "most" of the numbers generated are
> actually in the range 100 - 400?

#if( rand(s1) < 0.1 )
 #local N = rand(s1) * 29970 +  30;
#else
 #local N = rand(s1) *   300 + 100;
#end

Post a reply to this message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Invisible nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/26 05:36:
> OK, so unlike the Euler project, *this* question has some practical use.
> ;-)
>
> Anybody have any idea how I can make a program generate random numbers
> between 30 and 30,000, but so that "most" of the numbers generated are
> actually in the range 100 - 400?
A possibility: Use the division of some random numbers. The divider must have a
range starting at 1.
Samples: rand(X)*29970/(rand(X)*Z+1)+30
(rand(X)+rand(X))*14985/(rand(X)*Z+1)+30

Adjusting Z will shift the peak. Low Z for high location, larger Z for lower
location.

--
Alain
Everybody should believe in something: I believe I'll have another drink.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 26 Nov 2007 16:25:49
Message: <474b39dd$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> OK, so unlike the Euler project, *this* question has some practical use.
> ;-)
>
> Anybody have any idea how I can make a program generate random numbers
> between 30 and 30,000, but so that "most" of the numbers generated are
> actually in the range 100 - 400?

Well, one step is to develop a random number generator that kicks out a
number from 1 to 1000, with the frequency peaking at 10.  Then generate
30 such numbers and sum them.

Or,

Generate 29970 random numbers from 0 to 1.  Multiply each one by 29970.
  For each product that is less than 220, add one to your running tally.

When you're all done, add 30 to the tally.

The tally will be a number between 30 and 30000, with the results
clustering around 250.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message