POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : maximal size of e-mails Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  maximal size of e-mails (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Fa3ien
Subject: maximal size of e-mails
Date: 28 Nov 2007 08:24:43
Message: <474d6c1b@news.povray.org>
We (me, ans you also, I guess) often encounter the following
problem : we need to send a big file to someone, and we don't
know the limit they can accept.  Often, even if you ask, computer
illiterate people don't know themselves how much they can get.

The SMTP RFC (which I read some time ago) defines the SIZE command,
but says there isn't a standard maximal size, each server chooses
its own.

Here, in my country, the leading ISP limits to 16 Mb, which is the
highest I ever met.  Many others, including main webmail providers
(hotmail, gmail...) are around 10 Mb.  Some retarded ISP, services
or institutions are still lower, even sometimes down to 2 or 3 Mb.

I tought, well, that would be quite easy to get the info, just do
some script to Telnet the destination mail server, until it gives
its SIZE info, and close the connection.  Too bad, my ISP (the leading
one in the country) BLOCKS outgoing port 25.  You have to use THEIR
SMTP server.  So I can't do the Telnet trick to the destination mail server.
I understand why they block it, but it's annoying.

Is there any website which provides that kind of service ?
(you enter the domain name to which you want to send something, and
it tells you how much you can send)

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

> We (me, ans you also, I guess) often encounter the following
> problem : we need to send a big file to someone,

Use yousendit.com or something similar, instead of attaching the file.