POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : bluray and pixar Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  bluray and pixar (Message 31 to 40 of 66)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: bluray and pixar
Date: 22 Nov 2007 11:57:00
Message: <4745b4dc$1@news.povray.org>

4745a4aa$1@news.povray.org...

> I see three possibilities:
> 1. The TV they were proudly displaying was actually rubbish.
> 2. The signal they were feeding it with was naff.
> 3. There's little actual difference between HD and SD.

4. You need to see an ophtalmologist?

G.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 22 Nov 2007 12:56:43
Message: <4745c2db@news.povray.org>
scott escribió:
> http://www.bur.st/~anthony/dba/160206/stateoftheunion_1.jpg
>
> Now, if you can't tell the difference...

I see interlacing artifacts >_< Progressive video ftw.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 22 Nov 2007 13:09:22
Message: <4745c5d2@news.povray.org>

> Well one is live the other cartoon (feel free to guess which is which)

lol :D The HD one?

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 22 Nov 2007 13:17:32
Message: <4745c7bc$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> They were running National Geographic HD. (Doesn't mean they had an HD
> decoder of course...) Lots of long short of mountains, jungles, big
> savanas and stuff that's clearly meant to make you go "wow". It honestly
> didn't look much different to what I get on my 7 year old TV at home.

It was either National Geographic HD or Discovery HD which I saw at the
store here in Finland (Verkkokauppa.com is the store) from multiple
HD-screens at once. I couldn't figure out if the resolutions seemd to be
good or bad, 'cause I almost got a headache from the infernally bad
MPEG-encoding! Seriously, I'd take old-fashion analog-RF rather than
such crap, while the analog problems are easier for brains to filter.

> (I remember I once plugged my laptop into the TV because we didn't own a
> DVD player. The Windows desktop was... unreadable. Literally, you just
> couldn't read *any* of the writing! But then, I guess usually you sit 12
> feet from your TV screen, so they're not going to bother making it able
> to display tiny writing like that...)

That's a sign of bad TV or bad TV-out. I had 25" Finlux (some
basic-model, but good picture quality) and Matrox G550 connected via
S-video: Windows desktop was usable (no, not clear, but useable) even
with 1280x960. It was unbelievably clear with 800x600 (didn't outperfom
a monitor, but I was really surprised that a TV could do that).

> I think we've established that the shop was overpriced. ;-)

Certainly ;).

And yes, SD-picture seems soft when watched with 93" picture from 5
meters away. I think that (really a big picture with home theatre
enthustians) is a real winner-goal for HD. 768x576 vs. 1920x1080 makes
pretty big difference, once you can see the pixels of the first one.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

> more crisp picture. I could buy a *car* for that amount of money! Hell,
> I could almost buy a copy of *Oracle* for that!

Where the hell are you shopping? I priced LCD HD TVs last weekend, and I
could get a good one for R7000. (that's somewhere around 450 pounds, if you
convert)

Post a reply to this message