POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's random thought Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Today's random thought (Message 1 to 10 of 29)
From: Invisible
Subject: Today's random thought
Date: 12 Nov 2007 11:30:44
Message: <47387fb4$1@news.povray.org>
Suppose that every atom in the known universe had a unique serial
number. Suppose I picked a serial number at random, and then asked you
to go find out where that particular atom is. (Let us assume that there
is no particular correspondence between serial numbers and position in
space.)

Well your first problem is going to be that if I pick a random serial
number, that atom is probably many billions of light years away from
Earth, and so even if you knew where to go, you couldn't possibly go
there. But suppose you somehow have access to an electronic database of
all the atoms, their serial numbers, positions, and other interesting data.

(We casually ignore for the moment the minor detail that a database
describing the known universe would obviously be very much larger than
the actual universe itself, and hence could not possibly exist inside it...)

Given such a database, there are two ways you could try to find this atom.

One is to simply go through the database table, one row at a time. This
is equivilent to examining every atom in the universe, one by one, until
you find the one you want.

Assuming that you could somehow examine several million million million
records per second (highly implausible), to find the atom you're looking
for would take... several tens of billions of times the current age of
the universe. As in, after all the energy in the universe had been spent
and the entire cosmos had died an icy death of silent stillness at zero
entropy, your hypothetical computer would still have not made 1%
progress yet.

Just stop and think about that for a moment. There literally isn't
enough time in the universe to perform this search. Woah.

(But hey, you're searching all the atoms in existence! It's hardly
surprising...)

Alternatively, you could perform an index lookup. Assuming you have an
index on the main table that consists of a tree with 10 entries in each
node, you could find the atom in question after examining... 100 nodes.
(If we assume the tree is well-balanced.) Even if we type in the index
node requests by hand, it will take well less than 10 minutes to find
out atom.

So, one way has O(n) complexity, and would take so long that there
simply isn't enough time or energy in the universe to complete the
computation. The other way is O(log n), and would take less than 10
minutes even if done partially by hand.

Wow. Just... wow.

Post a reply to this message

> Alternatively, you could perform an index lookup.

  It's enough for the values to be sorted. Then you can simply perform
a binary search. Assuming fast random access the search should take
much less than a second.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> (We casually ignore for the moment the minor detail that a database
> describing the known universe would obviously be very much larger than
> the actual universe itself, and hence could not possibly exist inside it...)

Asimov solved this long ago!
http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

:)

> Assuming that you could somehow examine several million million million
> records per second (highly implausible), to find the atom you're looking
> for would take... several tens of billions of times the current age of
> the universe.

BTW, what if when you finally reach the area the atom was at originally it
already moved on to an area you had already inspected?  concurrency problems?
:)

Post a reply to this message

> > Alternatively, you could perform an index lookup.
>
>   It's enough for the values to be sorted. Then you can simply perform
> a binary search. Assuming fast random access the search should take
> much less than a second.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Today, the number of atoms of the observable universe is estimated at about
10^80. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe).

Whish it were my bank account! But presently only the absolute value is correct