POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mildly interesting article Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Mildly interesting article (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Mildly interesting article
Date: 11 Nov 2007 06:46:20
Message: <4736eb8c$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~dpw/popl/06/Tim-POPL.ppt

(Yes, you need something that understands M$'s hated PowerPoint file
format...)

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Mildly interesting article
Date: 11 Nov 2007 12:35:00
Message: <web.47373d1ead72000247c4e9b20@news.povray.org>
> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~dpw/popl/06/Tim-POPL.ppt
>
> (Yes, you need something that understands M$'s hated PowerPoint file
> format...)

yes, when a guy like Tim speaks, developers of toolsets should hear.  It's a
good thing that a well-known developer of high profile titles is aware of
functional programming and Haskell and demanding C++-alike tool developers to
provide similar features, like guards and comprehensions...

much of the problems he lists as plagues in the Unreal code have to do exactly
with null pointer deferencing and out-of-bounds arrays, situations which have
no parallel in Haskell...

Post a reply to this message