POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Red tape Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Red tape (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Invisible
Subject: Red tape
Date: 7 Nov 2007 08:22:43
Message: <4731bc23$1@news.povray.org>
Isn't it wonderful how a simple idea can become absurdly complicated as
soon as more people become involved?

For example... We are currently forming a plan for how our company will
move to the new building that's being constructed just round the corner.
As part of the move, I thought it might be nice to buy some shiny new
Gigabit Ethernet switches. (Our current ones are 10/100 only.)

OK, only a few nodes actually support gigabit speeds, but it would be
nice to have it. Additionally, it would mean we can have a functioning
network in the new place and the old place at the same time, which is
useful. On top of that, we probably don't need as many seperate boxes as
we have at present, since there will only be 1 building instead of 3.

Checking online, it seems I can get to 24 or 48 port switch with gigabit

depending on which make and model you go for.

Then the guys in the USA got wind of this idea. "Oh, don't order
anything until we check it out. We've been trying to standardise on this
particular model from Cisco and it would help tremendously if we had the
same product company-wide."

Erm... well OK.

Hmm, well if it's going to say Cisco on the box, it'll be at least 2x
the price. (Performing an actual check shows me that what I want will

with justification that Cisco actually make the best products on the
market. And there's even some danger of actual product support. And it's
only a one-time cost. So, OK.

So I ask what model they're going with. Eventually I get back a reply.
They don't know what model, they haven't decided what purchase route
yet, and it won't be gigabit because that's too expensive. But they'd
like to get something with PoE on it so that "in the next year or two"
we can implement a complete VoIP system and we'll already have PoE in
place when that happens.

Erm... what the hell?

(0. So it won't be gigabit, which is virtually the entire point of
buying new switches in the first place, so I should probably stop here.)

1. Since when does VoIP require PoE?

2. For that matter, since when does VoIP require any special hardware of
any kind?

3. You want to use VoIP? Um, *why*?? Do you just enjoy extra complexity,
or is this because VoIP sounds all shiny and new and sexy and we should
get with it?

4. So, let me get this straight. We're currently arranging a contract to
spend tens of thousands of pounds to have our existing ISDN digital
phone system moved to the new building, but "in the next year or two"
you want to throw all that in the bin and move to VoIP? Are you mental??
You're telling us all this *now*?!?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked, VoIP is still
an immature and very experimental research technology that isn't yet
usable in the real world. (Unless you have absurd amounts of resources
to throw at the problem, in which case almost anything can be made
feasible.)

I can't *begin* to imagine what advantage VoIP would offer us as a
company. (Apart from the obvious benefit that next time our Internet
access fails, I won't be able to contact our ISP to notify them, and
next time our VPN goes down, I won't be able to contact HQ to get it
fixed...)

Well anyway, I'm moderately certain that our building intrusion alarm
won't work without a real telephone line, so I guess we still need at
least a few of those. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> 2. For that matter, since when does VoIP require any special hardware of
> any kind?

I have a standard el-cheapo 8-port switch in our meeting room with our VoIP
conference phone running through it...

> 3. You want to use VoIP? Um, *why*?? Do you just enjoy extra complexity,
> or is this because VoIP sounds all shiny and new and sexy and we should
> get with it?

It makes communication between sites much more efficient and cheaper.

Post a reply to this message

>> 2. For that matter, since when does VoIP require any special hardware
>> of any kind?
>
> I have a standard el-cheapo 8-port switch in our meeting room with our
> VoIP conference phone running through it...

That's pretty much what I thought...

>> 3. You want to use VoIP? Um, *why*?? Do you just enjoy extra
>> complexity, or is this because VoIP sounds all shiny and new and sexy
>> and we should get with it?
>
> It makes communication between sites much more efficient and cheaper.

As I understand it, with our current deal it costs peanuts to call the
USA at the moment anyway.

Post a reply to this message

>>> 3. You want to use VoIP? Um, *why*?? Do you just enjoy extra complexity,
>>> or is this because VoIP sounds all shiny and new and sexy and we should
>>> get with it?
>>
>> It makes communication between sites much more efficient and cheaper.
>
> As I understand it, with our current deal it costs peanuts to call the USA
> at the moment anyway.

Guess it depends how often and for how long you call different countries,
and whether they have VoIP too or not.  For us we have lots of secondees who
seem to spend all day on the phone to Japan...

Post a reply to this message