POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not *too* off-topic Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Not *too* off-topic (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Darren New
Subject: Not *too* off-topic
Date: 6 Nov 2007 18:42:34
Message: <4730fbea$1@news.povray.org>
The URL says it all.

http://augustss.blogspot.com/2007/11/benchmarking-ray-tracing-haskell-vs.html

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we
     used to complain about cryptography
     being export-restricted?

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Not *too* off-topic
Date: 6 Nov 2007 19:52:31
Message: <47310c4e@news.povray.org>
> http://augustss.blogspot.com/2007/11/benchmarking-ray-tracing-haskell-vs.html

  That's the problem with trying to "benchmark" different languages against
each other: Is your implementation of the task in a given language optimal,
or at the very least, fair?

  It's easy to make a completely sub-par implementation of an algorithm
in a language and then make a much better implementation in another and
then conclude that the latter language is "faster" than the former.

  In most languages you simply have to know how things should be done
for them to be efficient. You have to know the bottlenecks. Just because
some feature seems the "most logical" one doesn't necessarily mean it's
the proper feature for that task.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   That's the problem with trying to "benchmark" different languages against

Yah. I just posted it because it was Haskell, and ray-tracing. :-)