POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Surprise! (Message 51 to 60 of 109)
From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: Re: Surprise!
Date: 9 Nov 2007 10:38:19
Message: <47347eeb@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Solar cells work by using strange chemistry rather than directly turning
> light into electricity. (Presumably that's why they're so inefficient.)

	From a basic perspective, the photon is absorbed by an electron and
excites it to the conduction band. Pretty direct...

> I have no clue why LEDs work. But apparently they do. ;-)

	You set the conditions for an electron to drop down the band gap and
lose energy - that lost energy is the photon that is emitted.

> Electricity can be used to excite atoms in such a way that they release
> photons. So can heat energy, chemical energy, and all kinds of other
> energy. It's hardly unique to electricity. Basically if you get atoms
> excited enough, they glow.

	One of the reasons people produce photons this way is probably because
it's a lot more practical and cheaper than doing it the way you want...

--
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person
who doesn't get it.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message