POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Surprise! (Message 21 to 30 of 109)
From: M a r c
Subject: Re: Surprise!
Date: 8 Nov 2007 08:00:09
Message: <47330859$1@news.povray.org>

4733016b$1@news.povray.org...
> (I still can't figure out why you can use an oscilator to make radio
> waves, but not light rays...)

Is not a laser an excitated resonant optical cavity eg a oscillator?

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 8 Nov 2007 08:08:19
Message: <47330a43$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>
>> * Electricity does not, under any remotely "normal" conditions, produce
>> light or affect it in any way. (E.g., you can't bend light using
>> electricity.) The same goes for magnetism.
>
> I thought lightning was normal at least in a storm.

Oh, sure, if you make stuff hot it will give off light. (And other
frequencies, for that matter.) But you don't need to use electricity to
make things hot; you can use *anything* to make it hot, and it will
glow. So it's not really an electrical effect.

>> (I still can't figure out why you can use an oscilator to make radio
>> waves, but not light rays...)
>
> If you oscillate something fast enough it will heat up and emit light.

More to the point, presumably if you shine a light on some kind of
conductor, it will induce a current... (And yet nobody has found a way
to use this to convert sunlight to electricity yet. They all rely on
obscure chemical and physical properties to try to do the job.)

Post a reply to this message

>> (I still can't figure out why you can use an oscilator to make radio
>> waves, but not light rays...)
>
> Is not a laser an excitated resonant optical cavity eg a oscillator?

Actually, I thought it was a tube full of extremely hot gas with some
mirrors at the ends? (I don't know a huge amount about lasers.)

Post a reply to this message

> >> * Electricity does not, under any remotely "normal" conditions, produce
> >> light or affect it in any way. (E.g., you can't bend light using
> >> electricity.) The same goes for magnetism.
> >
> > I thought lightning was normal at least in a storm.
>
> Oh, sure, if you make stuff hot it will give off light. (And other
> frequencies, for that matter.) But you don't need to use electricity to
> make things hot; you can use *anything* to make it hot, and it will
> glow. So it's not really an electrical effect.
>
> >> (I still can't figure out why you can use an oscilator to make radio
> >> waves, but not light rays...)
> >
> > If you oscillate something fast enough it will heat up and emit light.
>
> More to the point, presumably if you shine a light on some kind of
> conductor, it will induce a current... (And yet nobody has found a way
> to use this to convert sunlight to electricity yet. They all rely on
> obscure chemical and physical properties to try to do the job.)

than I. I thought that you could not separate electricity and magnetism. Also
Light is part of the Electro magnetic spectrum and to my simple mind that
implies some sort of relationship.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message