POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:13:29 EDT (-0400)
  Surprise! (Message 11 to 20 of 109)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Surprise!
Date: 8 Nov 2007 00:00:01
Message: <web.473297054b19b3ff34f7c6510@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> > This time, the URL really *does* say it all!
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_refractive_index
> >
> > Mmm, I wonder if POV-Ray can do this?
>
> sure:
> http://www.opticsexpress.org/abstract.cfm?id=88325
>
> Christoph Hormann, long contributor to povray, is one of the authors.
> http://www.imagico.de/

a more direct link in his own site:
http://www.imagico.de/pov/metamaterials.html

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 8 Nov 2007 04:23:39
Message: <4732d59b$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> a more direct link in his own site:
> http://www.imagico.de/pov/metamaterials.html

Woah - so you mean POV-Ray already does this *now*?

Now suddenly the subject line seems even more appropriate. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 8 Nov 2007 04:25:47
Message: <4732d61b$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> This time, the URL really *does* say it all!
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_refractive_index
>>
>> Mmm, I wonder if POV-Ray can do this?
>
> Wow that's something to think about.  It was only a few years ago I
> learned that the refractive index is actually a complex number, useful
> when working with things like polarisers and (liquid) crystals that do
> funky things to the light.

Yeah, freaky isn't it?

(IIRC, the imaginary part of the complex number you speak of is just the
amount of absorption in the material, but yeah... it's derived from the
electronic permitivity and permeability or something. I find it rather
bizare that electronic properties should actually affect optical ones,
but there we are.)

BTW, did you know that there exist materials with an IOR even higher
than diamond? And there exist materials with a (positive) IOR < 1?

Post a reply to this message

> bizare that electronic properties should actually affect optical ones,
> but there we are.)

Well yeh, what's light?

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:50:34 -0000, scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> did
spake, saying:

>> I find it rather bizare that electronic properties should actually
>> affect optical ones, but there we are.)
>
> Well yeh, what's light?

Feathers, balloons, air :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

>> bizare that electronic properties should actually affect optical ones,
>> but there we are.)
>
> Well yeh, what's light?

Feathers are light.   :-P

Post a reply to this message