POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not *too* off-topic Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  Not *too* off-topic (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: Not *too* off-topic
Date: 7 Nov 2007 15:30:33
Message: <47322069$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Big smoking "sigh".
>
> Skype has been running here for around a week, and it used 1 hour of CPU
> time. Just being idle showing its tray icon, I haven't made any call.

From:
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/security/howto/2006-06-21/

Best Practices for Skype Users
5.
A common recommendation is to only start Skype for pre-arranged calls
and to shut it down when it is not being used.
We have seen super-node problems when Skype is left running on
unattended systems who have not blocked access to ports 80/tcp and
443/tcp. Shutting Skype down helps to prevent your system from being
promoted to a super-node and consuming resources on behalf of others.

Also read the last part of this section at the bottom of the page:

Skype -- Super-Nodes, the "big" problem

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

> We have seen super-node problems when Skype is left running on
> unattended systems who have not blocked access to ports 80/tcp and
> 443/tcp. Shutting Skype down helps to prevent your system from being
> promoted to a super-node and consuming resources on behalf of others.

I have port 443 closed, and port 80 open and in use by a webserver.

Post a reply to this message

> Skype has been running here for around a week, and it used 1 hour of CPU
> time. Just being idle showing its tray icon, I haven't made any call.

Does skype still leach your bandwidth if you're not NATted?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message