POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wahahahaha! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Wahahahaha! (Message 151 to 160 of 170)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: Wahahahaha!
Date: 12 Nov 2007 14:10:07
Message: <4738a50f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Now, how about that Windoze habit of saying "The program has
>> experienced an error and will be shut down. Do you want to send
>> debugging information?" What do you estimate the chances are that
>> *anybody* will do anything at all with the data thus sent? ;-)
>
> I have, on occasion, sent in reports like that, and had Microsoft reply
> with how to fix it. So obviously someone was paying attention to it.

Woah. Micro$oft talking to a paying customer... that's almost unheard
of. o_O

You must be very special...

Post a reply to this message

From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 12 Nov 2007 14:40:17
Message: <op.t1o19egccs6ysw@e6600>
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:09:27 +0100, Orchid XP v7 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>>> That's impressive. Usually these things work by inserting software
>>> interrupts into the code. (Or just software enumation of machine
>>> state...)
>>  Nowadays, actually, they tend to play with the memory map to cause
>> traps to occur where you want to see things. Breakpoint when you write
>> a variable? Map the page the variable is in as read-only, then when the
>> trap happens, see if the instruction was pointing to the variable.
>
> Interesting. I thought (in C) all variables exist on the machine stack?

Not true, but even so, the stack is still memory.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 12 Nov 2007 15:22:17
Message: <4738b5f9@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:

>>>  Nowadays, actually, they tend to play with the memory map to cause
>>> traps to occur where you want to see things. Breakpoint when you
>>> write a variable? Map the page the variable is in as read-only, then
>>> when the trap happens, see if the instruction was pointing to the
>>> variable.
>>
>> Interesting. I thought (in C) all variables exist on the machine stack?
>
> Not true, but even so, the stack is still memory.

Well true - but my point was more that the stack gets touched every 3
instructions or so, and setting traps on it would light up the system
like a festive season tree. ;-)

Post a reply to this message