POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All that Windoze stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  All that Windoze stuff (Message 21 to 25 of 25)
From: pan
Subject: Re: All that Windoze stuff
Date: 4 Nov 2007 03:10:43
Message: <472d7e83$1@news.povray.org>
news:4728ece4$1@news.povray.org...
> So... can anybody provide a high-level overview of the general
> structure and terminology of this stuff?
>
> (All the documentation I found so far just shows examples in C -
> which means nothing to me.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_object_model

Also - powershell from MS is free and does COM

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Nov 2007 04:36:01
Message: <472ee401@news.povray.org>
pan wrote:
> "Orchid XP v7" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>> So... can anybody provide a high-level overview of the general
>> structure and terminology of this stuff?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_object_model

Already read it. It's one of Wikipedia's less helpful articles. (Ditto
for all that .NET stuff.)

> Also - powershell from MS is free and does COM

Um... OK. Maybe they have some documentation I can use...

Post a reply to this message

> Um... OK. Maybe they have some documentation I can use...

I think it's more like, now that you know what it is (namely, an API for
communication between independent objects via an API-like interface),
what's your actual question? :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

>> Um... OK. Maybe they have some documentation I can use...
>
> I think it's more like, now that you know what it is (namely, an API for
> communication between independent objects via an API-like interface),
> what's your actual question? :-)

 From Wikipedia's article, it seems that COM's idea of what the terms
"object", "class" and "method" mean is somewhat different from the usual
OO terminology. (Or Wikipedia is outright incorrect, which is of course
not impossible.) Can anybody clarify?

Post a reply to this message

>>> Um... OK. Maybe they have some documentation I can use...
>>
>> I think it's more like, now that you know what it is (namely, an API
>> for communication between independent objects via an API-like
>> interface), what's your actual question? :-)
>
>  From Wikipedia's article, it seems that COM's idea of what the terms
> "object", "class" and "method" mean is somewhat different from the usual
> OO terminology. (Or Wikipedia is outright incorrect, which is of course
> not impossible.) Can anybody clarify?

It is a bit different from normal OO terms. Just wait until you get to
the "containment/delegation and aggregation" part (replaces uses of
inheritance), that's really screwed up.