POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dev-Cpp vs. OpenWatcom, InfoSniglet #1 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:05 EDT (-0400)
  Dev-Cpp vs. OpenWatcom, InfoSniglet #1 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Dev-Cpp vs. OpenWatcom, InfoSniglet #1
Date: 10 Oct 2007 17:51:41
Message: <470d496d$1@news.povray.org>
With moderate optimizations (just the -ox switch), and with debugging
info left out, OW generates an executable of 190K for my modeler, while
Dev-Cpp generates a 217K executable.

The only real speed bump was the lack of single-precision functions in
the math library that ships with OW; but a bunch of macros to rename the
double precision versions fixed that.  Then I took the time to comment
out all of the local variables that weren't referenced.

It took me a while to figure out that when the linker says "files.obj:
undefined void near Model::validate()", it means that the function
Model::validate() was not found in any of the .obj files (which means
that I forgot to add two sources to the project when I copied the files
over).

Once everything compiled and linked, the resulting executable ran just
fine, which is not surprising, since the same code resulted in an
executable that ran fine with Dev-Cpp.  Dunno how fast it all runs,
because the app isn't particularly demanding on the CPU, and I took out
the O(N^2) situation that was dragging performance on earlier versions
of the app.

Now if only the UI for OpenWatcom didn't look like something cobbled
together for Win 3.x.  Dev-Cpp is much prettier...

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> With moderate optimizations (just the -ox switch), and with debugging
> info left out, OW generates an executable of 190K for my modeler, while
> Dev-Cpp generates a 217K executable.

Try the -s switch on gcc (Dev-C++ shows it on the UI as "strip all
symbols").

Post a reply to this message

>> With moderate optimizations (just the -ox switch), and with debugging
>> info left out, OW generates an executable of 190K for my modeler,
>> while Dev-Cpp generates a 217K executable.
>

> Try the -s switch on gcc (Dev-C++ shows it on the UI as "strip all
> symbols").

I already had that option going in Dev-C++).  Without that option the
executable is about 319K.

Regards,
John