POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : c++ memory question Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  c++ memory question (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Samuel Benge
Subject: c++ memory question
Date: 2 Oct 2007 18:45:30
Message: <4702ca0a@news.povray.org>
Hi,

It's probably a stupid question, but here goes. I know that for every
"new", there must be a delete. I don't deal with malloc statements, so
let's disregard that branch of memory management.

So here's the question. If I create an array like so: int i[20];, and
then proceed to assign values for each entry, must I then delete it at
some point? I didn't use a "new" flag to initialize the array. Is the
memory used by that array freed after the program is terminated?

I can't find information regarding this, as all the texts I found dealt
with the "new" and "delete []" statements.

I ask this because my Light's Out game seem to use more and more memory
each time it is run and closed, but the memory consumption actually goes
back down to what it originally was after the 11th or 12th time. I don't
get why that would happen...

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> It's probably a stupid question, but here goes. I know that for every
> "new", there must be a delete. I don't deal with malloc statements, so
> let's disregard that branch of memory management.
>
> So here's the question. If I create an array like so: int i[20];, and
> then proceed to assign values for each entry, must I then delete it at
> some point? I didn't use a new flag. Is the memory used by that array
> freed after the program is terminated?

What you make whith the instruction int i[20]; is a static array, that
is allocated in the stack if I remember correctly. You do not have to
manage the memory in the stack, so no free or delete.

Try googling for "static dynamic array C++", it should bring you
something useful...

Hope this helps

--
Vincent