POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How politically incorrect is the death of children in sci-fi? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  How politically incorrect is the death of children in sci-fi? (Message 11 to 20 of 31)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: How politically incorrect is the death of children in sci-fi?
Date: 16 Sep 2007 18:15:07
Message: <46EDABEA.9060302@hotmail.com>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> I've got an idea for a novel which involves a group of kids taking on or
> thwarting an oppressive alien civilization. Problem is, for my plot to make
> sense, the aliens have been killing a bunch of them before they figure out
> they are even oppressed by aliens and then continue to do so as they figure
> out how to fight back. I want the kids to be heroes and show how they
> figure out the problem and fight back, from their eyes.   For the story to
> make any sense, it's better for them to be under voting age.  The older
> they are, the plot doesn't make sense.  The younger they are, I imagine
> you're more at risk of either violating PC sensibilities or actually
> scaring people.
My first reaction was: 'huh, we are talking about fiction'. Judging from
the other reactions you are apparently correct in assuming this may be a
problem. So I am not fully in touch with current PC.
Another reaction is: Have you read the latest Harry Potter? Kids as
heroes and under voting age deaths, (though possibly not named ones, I
do not remember the details).
Yet another: don't advertise it as a book for children.

> Can you show 10-year olds in a sort of "The Poseidon Adventure" epic where
> not all the ones you introduce the reader to survive by the end?

As is probably evident from the above: I would have absolutely no
problems with it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Sep 2007 20:03:01
Message: <46edc435$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:19:22 +0200, andrel wrote:

> Have you read the latest Harry Potter? Kids as heroes and under voting
> age deaths, (though possibly not named ones, I do not remember the
> details). Yet another: don't advertise it as a book for children.

Hmmm, good point...And that series started as books for kids...The last
one?  Definitely not for kids IMHO.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Sep 2007 20:09:16
Message: <46edc5ac$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:13:59 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:41:55 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> >   Yeah, but in this case with a much higher probability.
>
>> Possibly, yes.
>
>   Not that I'm opposed to the original idea. I'm just stating the
> sad facts.

Oh, same here - I'm quite intrigued by Greg's story idea.

I'm the sort who can watch or read fairly gruesome fiction (though I
don't like "slash horror" - I like there to be an actual story, ala Law &
Order, for example) and switch my mind to "this is fiction" mode (though
I have a harder time with L&O: Special Victims Unit, because it tends to
be sex crimes involving kids as victims); my wife, however, can't watch
or read anything like this because she gets very empathetic/sympathetic
to the characters, even if they're fictional.

Raymond Feist's _Faerie Tale_ is an excellent book in this genre - the
kids are the heroes, and a cat is eviscerated in the process.  I loved
that book and have reread it several times, but my wife read it once and
got to the first scene where the kids were in real danger and decided not
to read any further; her son was about the same age as the kids in the
book, and it was just a bit too close to home for her as a parent.  I
don't think she read the bit about the cat - same sort of thing there as
with the kids.

The thing that makes that sort of thing really terrifying for her is that
kids/animals don't know *why* the bad things are happening, so for Greg's
story if the kids demonstrate an understanding about what's going on
(which, in retrospect, is also a reason why the HP books are perhaps more
acceptable in this regard -they understand they and are not "innocent
bystanders" and know what the stakes are), that makes it less
"politically incorrect".

Jim

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 16 Sep 2007 21:50:57
Message: <46eddd81@news.povray.org>
Okay, so my story's not monetizable, so no need to be stingy with it.

--------------------------
The idea was that some aliens see a colony of humans on a few different
planets who are about to face some utter planetary destruction in a hundred
thousand years. Let's say they've lost the ability for space travel.

They figure out that the humans won't ever have the technology to get off
the planet(s) in time.  They survey the surrounding corner of the galaxy
and find two very different and barely habitable planets.

So, they start kidnapping all the prebubescent kids, putting them through
different ordeals until say 1/3 are killed, then they release the survivors
back to their original respective planets. Occasionally one from the other
planet gets dropped off on the other one.

The thing is one set of ordeals has to do with water, the other with trees
or cliffs.

The aliens have this quasi-benevolent idea. They think that they can through
natural selection produce two different races of humans that can survive
better on these other planets-- one an ocean world with little land, and
another say a cliff-y planet.  They think that they can make human dolphins
and birds!

The humans of course are sorely oppressed by this, but eventually some of
the kids figure it all out. They save the humans, yada yada yada.

--------------------------

I suppose the story could work if the aliens kidnapped 21 year olds, but
then the whole thing of artificially-imposed natural selection could be
moot since a non-small percentage of folks have kids by this time anyway.
And parental death for me is weirder than kid death, so that's not gonna
work either.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 16 Sep 2007 22:42:46
Message: <46ede9a6$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> Can you show 10-year olds in a sort of "The Poseidon Adventure" epic where
> not all the ones you introduce the reader to survive by the end?

Ender's game
Harry Potter
Narnia
The Sopranos....oops maybe not that one.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 Sep 2007 05:53:09
Message: <46ee4e85$1@news.povray.org>

le message de news: 46eddd81@news.povray.org...
> So, they start kidnapping all the prebubescent kids, putting them through
> different ordeals until say 1/3 are killed, then they release the
> survivors
> back to their original respective planets.

This really has little to do with "political correctness". Offing fictional
children has always been a touchy thing to do, for obvious reasons: children
are supposed to be in the care of adults and protected by them. Of course,
it's been done many times, sometimes to great critical and public acclaim.
The big problem is that it requires some pretty good literary skills to kill
fictional children in an *** entertaining *** fashion that's not a gore
festival ("the alien machines slowly crushed the toddlers' heads, making
soft popping sounds") or a tearjerker. Note that the "Think of the children"
kind of people generally love it, as children are perfect (poster) victims
for propaganda material...

G.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross
Date: 17 Sep 2007 12:24:01
Message: <46eeaa21$1@news.povray.org>
Not at all.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 17 Sep 2007 18:51:17
Message: <46ef04e5@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Greg M. Johnson <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithycom> wrote:
>
>>Can you show 10-year olds in a sort of "The Poseidon Adventure" epic where
>>not all the ones you introduce the reader to survive by the end?
>

>   You are going to offend someone.
>
>   This can of course be understood completely in the wrong way, but children
> are the Holy Cows of the later 20th century and the 21st. Even completely
> fictitious accounts of maltreatment is seen as a tabu. I think it has gone
> a bit overboard.

Which is kind of a turnaround since ancient times.  With a few
exceptions, most ancient cultures treated children as objects.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 17 Sep 2007 18:52:16
Message: <46ef0520@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>
>> I've got an idea for a novel which involves a group of kids taking on or
>> thwarting an oppressive alien civilization. Problem is, for my plot to
>> make
>> sense, the aliens have been killing a bunch of them before they figure
>> out
>> they are even oppressed by aliens and then continue to do so as they
>> figure
>> out how to fight back. I want the kids to be heroes and show how they
>> figure out the problem and fight back, from their eyes.   For the
>> story to
>> make any sense, it's better for them to be under voting age.  The older
>> they are, the plot doesn't make sense.  The younger they are, I imagine
>> you're more at risk of either violating PC sensibilities or actually
>> scaring people.
>
> My first reaction was: 'huh, we are talking about fiction'. Judging from
> the other reactions you are apparently correct in assuming this may be a
> problem. So I am not fully in touch with current PC.
> Another reaction is: Have you read the latest Harry Potter? Kids as
> heroes and under voting age deaths, (though possibly not named ones, I
> do not remember the details).

One of the underage children to die is named.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 17 Sep 2007 19:57:32
Message: <46ef146c$1@news.povray.org>
This seems a bit off to me, why would there
be a focus on kids?  Wouldn't this sort of
eugenics apply to adults too?

Also it seems like even if 99% of the
kidnapped people would die on planet X
then 1% would survive, so why not just
take as many as possible to strand on planet X?