POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Almost broken laptop ... ideas? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Almost broken laptop ... ideas? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: scott
Subject: Almost broken laptop ... ideas?
Date: 10 Sep 2007 03:28:27
Message: <46e4f21b@news.povray.org>
No it's not a Dell, Fujitsu-Siemens actually.

95% of the time you press the power button and the fans spin up to maximum,
but that's all (no display, no VGA output, no beeps, no hard drive spin-up,
nothing).   It will turn off if you hold down the power button for 5
seconds, so something is working.

5% of the time it will boot normally (the fans immediately go to low power
mode once the BIOS screen appears).  However if you gently tap the computer
it immediately turns off and goes back to the 95% behaviour.

I tried taking out the RAM, but same as above, except for the 5% of the time
it will give a beepy error code (I assume for "no RAM").

I've already taken this one apart before to re-solder the AC socket (a long
time ago), so I was planning to open it up again and check all connectors.
I suspect it could be the CPU, I have no idea how these are attached to the
main-board in laptops but I'll see if I can re-seat it or something.

Any other ideas while I have it open tonight?  Does the 95% behaviour sound
like what happens if you try to boot with no CPU?

Post a reply to this message

> No it's not a Dell, Fujitsu-Siemens actually.
>
> 95% of the time you press the power button and the fans spin up to
> maximum, but that's all (no display, no VGA output, no beeps, no hard
> drive spin-up, nothing).   It will turn off if you hold down the power
> button for 5 seconds, so something is working.
>
> 5% of the time it will boot normally (the fans immediately go to low
> power mode once the BIOS screen appears).  However if you gently tap the
> computer it immediately turns off and goes back to the 95% behaviour.
>
> I tried taking out the RAM, but same as above, except for the 5% of the
> time it will give a beepy error code (I assume for "no RAM").
>
> I've already taken this one apart before to re-solder the AC socket (a
> long time ago), so I was planning to open it up again and check all
> connectors. I suspect it could be the CPU, I have no idea how these are
> attached to the main-board in laptops but I'll see if I can re-seat it
> or something.
>
> Any other ideas while I have it open tonight?  Does the 95% behaviour
> sound like what happens if you try to boot with no CPU?

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop at work and I can tell you the the
motherboards die regulary. I had a similar behaviour. In the end it
didn't boot.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

>>> Any other ideas while I have it open tonight?  Does the 95% behaviour
>> sound like what happens if you try to boot with no CPU?
>
> I have a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop at work and I can tell you the the
> motherboards die regulary. I had a similar behaviour. In the end it didn't
> boot.

Hmmm, well I reseated the CPU last night and was all excited when it booted
first time and appeared to work.  But then after about 10 minutes I clicked
on something and it died instantly.  Haven't been able to boot it since.
Sounds like it could be a motherboard problem them.  But the fact that it
dies because of some mechanical shock indicates to me it is some lose
connection, and can be fixed...

Post a reply to this message

"scott" <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote in message
>>> sound like what happens if you try to boot with no CPU?
>>
>> I have a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop at work and I can tell you the the
>> motherboards die regulary. I had a similar behaviour. In the end it
>> didn't boot.
>
> Hmmm, well I reseated the CPU last night and was all excited when it
> booted first time and appeared to work.  But then after about 10 minutes I
> clicked on something and it died instantly.  Haven't been able to boot it
> since. Sounds like it could be a motherboard problem them.  But the fact
> that it dies because of some mechanical shock indicates to me it is some
> lose connection, and can be fixed...

Or a poor through-link on the multiilayer PC board that's fatigued from
repeated heat expansion and contraction, to the point of barely
connecting...

Post a reply to this message

> Or a poor through-link on the multiilayer PC board that's fatigued from
> repeated heat expansion and contraction, to the point of barely
> connecting...

Yeh probably - nothing a big blob of solder won't fix :-)  ok maybe not.

Post a reply to this message

>>> sound like what happens if you try to boot with no CPU?
>>
>> I have a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop at work and I can tell you the the
>> motherboards die regulary. I had a similar behaviour. In the end it
>> didn't boot.
>
> Hmmm, well I reseated the CPU last night and was all excited when it
> booted first time and appeared to work.  But then after about 10 minutes
> I clicked on something and it died instantly.  Haven't been able to boot
> it since. Sounds like it could be a motherboard problem them.  But the
> fact that it dies because of some mechanical shock indicates to me it is
> some lose connection, and can be fixed...

The problem with mechanical loading and the rebooting and dying of the
machine had been the same with my machine. The company has a 24h service
and those guys told me that they have run out of motherboards (there are
  several thousand probably running here) due to this kind of failure.
It took them two months to deliver me a new motherboard.

I hate to say it, but I guess your machine will RIP. :-(