POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Remember these? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:59 EDT (-0400)
From: Orchid XP v3
Subject: Remember these?
Date: 6 Sep 2007 14:41:54

From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: Re: Remember these?
Date: 6 Sep 2007 16:42:06

From: Paul Fuller
Date: 6 Sep 2007 19:57:50

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 7 Sep 2007 00:18:36
Message: <46e0d11c@news.povray.org>
news:46e049f2$1@news.povray.org...
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/79
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/80

I don't want to be the wet blanket, but did you get Paul's permission to
repost these?

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 7 Sep 2007 14:16:42
Message: <46e1958a$1@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller wrote:

> Yes.  But only because I wrote them.

Heh. I loved them so much that I decided to keep them...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 7 Sep 2007 14:22:00
Message: <46e196c8$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> I don't want to be the wet blanket, but did you get Paul's permission to
> repost these?

Actually no - but they *were* originally posted to a completely
open-access public forum in the first place. ;-)

One would presume that if you didn't want something copied, you wouldn't
put it somewhere where millions of people will have the chance to copy it.

(Hey, wait... Madonna keeps playing her music on the radio... hmm, maybe
that _is_ a slightly broken assumption...)

Anyway, I thought it was really cool and I've saved it ever since. If
it's a problem I can easily take it down, but I doubt it...

(I don't recall Phil asking me before reposting my desert text for that
matter... although admittedly my memory is imperfect. I'm glad he did
though, otherwise I'd have never got it back!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

> > I don't want to be the wet blanket, but did you get Paul's permission to
> > repost these?
>
> Actually no - but they *were* originally posted to a completely
> open-access public forum in the first place. ;-)

Sure, but it is polite, at least, to ask permission before you copy someone
else's work, even if you do credit them..

Post a reply to this message

>> I don't want to be the wet blanket, but did you get Paul's
>> permission to repost these?
>
> Actually no - but they *were* originally posted to a completely
> open-access public forum in the first place. ;-)

That's no excuse.

Most websites are completely open-access too, but that doesn't mean you can
copy and redistribute anything you like from them. Same goes for books from
your local public, open-access library.

> that _is_ a slightly broken assumption...

Indeed.

> Anyway, I thought it was really cool and I've saved it ever since. If
> it's a problem I can easily take it down, but I doubt it...

It always *might* turn out not to be a problem, but that's a bad basis for
doing something that some consider very rude and which is technically
illegal too. The correct order is to ask permission *first*.

Note that you're always allowed to quote a small portion of a text. That's a
different matter from reposting something in its entirely.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message