POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A new level of Geekhood Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  A new level of Geekhood (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Orchid XP v3
Subject: A new level of Geekhood
Date: 5 Sep 2007 13:46:05
Message: <46deeb5d$1@news.povray.org>
I am *eating a pizza* while sitting at my PC listening to an engineer
lecture me about the resonant modes of an exhaust pipe.

I feel I have reached a new level of geekhood... :-.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

> I am *eating a pizza* while sitting at my PC listening to an engineer
> lecture me about the resonant modes of an exhaust pipe.
>
> I feel I have reached a new level of geekhood... :-.

I can't help but wonder.... is the lecture about building pipe organs
(or similar instruments) or about building vehicle exhaust pipes in such
a way that they don't vibrate their way off the chassis....

Sam

Post a reply to this message

>> I am *eating a pizza* while sitting at my PC listening to an engineer
>> lecture me about the resonant modes of an exhaust pipe.
>>
>> I feel I have reached a new level of geekhood... :-.
>
> I can't help but wonder.... is the lecture about building pipe organs
> (or similar instruments) or about building vehicle exhaust pipes in such
> a way that they don't vibrate their way off the chassis....

or in a way to vibrate in the way a car tuner likes ...?

Marc

> Sam

Post a reply to this message

>>> I am *eating a pizza* while sitting at my PC listening to an engineer
>>> lecture me about the resonant modes of an exhaust pipe.
>>>
>>> I feel I have reached a new level of geekhood... :-.
>>
>> I can't help but wonder.... is the lecture about building pipe organs
>> (or similar instruments) or about building vehicle exhaust pipes in
>> such a way that they don't vibrate their way off the chassis....
>  >

> or in a way to vibrate in the way a car tuner likes ...?

Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a
computer, and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical
MIDI device? :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a computer,
> and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical MIDI device?
> :)

I had a thougth at a similar project : radio command from a computer all the
ships horns in a harbour to make their new year 'concerto' even more
musical.
Obviously one could play only slow tunes because the distance between boats.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 6 Sep 2007 03:40:17
Message: <46dfaee1@news.povray.org>

46dfaa4d@news.povray.org...

> Obviously one could play only slow tunes because the distance between
> boats.

Of course that could be compensated for a fixed direction such as quays and
city

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 6 Sep 2007 03:49:37
Message: <46dfb111$1@news.povray.org>
> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a
> computer, and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical
> MIDI device? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXwWbo_mX0

Well, it's only one channel...

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 6 Sep 2007 04:09:26
Message: <46dfb5b6$1@news.povray.org>

46dfb111$1@news.povray.org...
>> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a
>> computer, and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical
>> MIDI device? :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXwWbo_mX0
>
> Well, it's only one channel...

LOL I remember a *cheaper* solution with a scanner (releases less CO2 too :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FHcV8vZ96OM

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 6 Sep 2007 16:27:00
Message: <46e06294@news.povray.org>
M_a_r_c schrieb:

> 46dfb111$1@news.povray.org...
>>> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a
>>> computer, and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical
>>> MIDI device? :)
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXwWbo_mX0
>>
>> Well, it's only one channel...
>>
> LOL I remember a *cheaper* solution with a scanner (releases less CO2 too :)
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=FHcV8vZ96OM
>
> Marc

Reminds me of some C64 Programm that shifted the head of the floppy
drive, making music. You had to readjust the head afterwards ... :-)

Very funny when it is not your computer ...

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 6 Sep 2007 21:35:50
Message: <46e0aaf6$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a
>> computer, and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical
>> MIDI device? :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXwWbo_mX0
>
> Well, it's only one channel...

So... f***ing... cool!