POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A new level of Geekhood Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  A new level of Geekhood (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: M a r c
Subject: Re: A new level of Geekhood
Date: 6 Sep 2007 03:20:45
Message: <46dfaa4d@news.povray.org>

46df65ca$1@news.povray.org...
> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a computer,
> and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical MIDI device?
> :)

I had a thougth at a similar project : radio command from a computer all the
ships horns in a harbour to make their new year 'concerto' even more
musical.
Obviously one could play only slow tunes because the distance between boats.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 6 Sep 2007 03:40:17
Message: <46dfaee1@news.povray.org>

46dfaa4d@news.povray.org...

> Obviously one could play only slow tunes because the distance between
> boats.

Of course that could be compensated for a fixed direction such as quays and
city

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 6 Sep 2007 03:49:37
Message: <46dfb111$1@news.povray.org>
> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a
> computer, and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical
> MIDI device? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXwWbo_mX0

Well, it's only one channel...

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 6 Sep 2007 04:09:26
Message: <46dfb5b6$1@news.povray.org>

46dfb111$1@news.povray.org...
>> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a
>> computer, and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical
>> MIDI device? :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXwWbo_mX0
>
> Well, it's only one channel...

LOL I remember a *cheaper* solution with a scanner (releases less CO2 too :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FHcV8vZ96OM

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 6 Sep 2007 16:27:00
Message: <46e06294@news.povray.org>
M_a_r_c schrieb:

> 46dfb111$1@news.povray.org...
>>> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a
>>> computer, and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical
>>> MIDI device? :)
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXwWbo_mX0
>>
>> Well, it's only one channel...
>>
> LOL I remember a *cheaper* solution with a scanner (releases less CO2 too :)
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=FHcV8vZ96OM
>
> Marc

Reminds me of some C64 Programm that shifted the head of the floppy
drive, making music. You had to readjust the head afterwards ... :-)

Very funny when it is not your computer ...

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 6 Sep 2007 21:35:50
Message: <46e0aaf6$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Heck, wouldn't it be fun to hook up a series of car engines to a
>> computer, and rev each one at different speeds as a sort of mechanical
>> MIDI device? :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXwWbo_mX0
>
> Well, it's only one channel...

So... f***ing... cool!

Also the "We are the Champions" one :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 6 Sep 2007 21:43:20
Message: <46e0acb8$1@news.povray.org>
Marc Schimmler wrote:
> Reminds me of some C64 Programm that shifted the head of the floppy
> drive, making music. You had to readjust the head afterwards ... :-)

Or the ones that would play music over a nearby radio by making the
address lines toggle RFI at the appropriate frequencies.

Or the mainframe at college that loaded a program into the registers to
play taps over the speaker to let you know it was OK to really, really
turn off the power.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 7 Sep 2007 14:10:30
Message: <46e19416@news.povray.org>
My God, what have I done?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 8 Sep 2007 08:34:54
Message: <46e296ee@news.povray.org>
Here's another one...

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ff_AXVlo9U

   ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 8 Sep 2007 10:26:49
Message: <46e2b129@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Or the mainframe at college that loaded a program into the registers to
> play taps over the speaker to let you know it was OK to really, really
> turn off the power.

...Burroughs B90 trained to "ding" the death march (rhythm only) on the
system console bell...

Sherry "Pray For the Dead And the Dead Will Pray For You" Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+