POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustrated shopper smashes self-checkout machine Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Frustrated shopper smashes self-checkout machine (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Orchid XP v3
Subject: Re: Frustrated shopper smashes self-checkout machine
Date: 8 Sep 2007 16:01:44
Message: <46e2ffa8@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> Wouldn't it be great if, after the 15th item, the thing said:
>
> "This lane is for 15 items or less.  Because you are scanning more than
> 15 items, we are imposing a 10% surcharge on your purchase.  Thank you
> for needlessly enriching us while simultaneously pissing off everyone in
> line behind you." :)

Ooo, you're *mean*!

My personal favourite is where you get one person to queue up while the
other one continues to shop and bring various items to the til...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 10 Sep 2007 09:49:07
Message: <op.tyfx0im6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 12:34:44 +0100, scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> did
spake, saying:

>> I've felt like doing this before, they ought to buy him dinner
>> and apologize for poor service.
>>
>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/330043_prybar03.html
>
> You have to wonder how much testing they actually do before launching in
> the shops.  I used one yesterday where it asked me to "insert cash or

> did nothing, and gave totally no indication what I was to do next.  In
> the end I pressed the help button and a woman came over.  She said you
> had to press the "pay with cash" button *after* you've finished putting
> in your cash.  OK - nice system.

We've got four in the local Co-op (all run by one supervisor, which ties
with andrel's observation) you have to pick how you pay before you do so.
The only restriction for cash is that you have to "Please put the coins in
the coin recepticle before putting notes in the note recepticle" can't
figure out why. What if you don't put enough coins in before the notes, do
you have to rummage for another or get the super over to start again?

> Also, has anyone ever succeeded in getting anywhere near the speed that
> you can beep things through at a normal check-out?  There seems to be a
> deliberate 1 or 2 second delay after scanning each item before it will
> let you scan another.

Yep they do seem damn slow, only useful when you've a basket and the other
tills are queued.

> In 5 or 10 years time the idea that we have to get everything out, scan
> it, then put it back in again will seem totally ludicrous.

That'll please the family I saw trying to maneuver three bags of charcoal
across the scanner. Seriously at a checkout they could have scanned one
and hit the quantity button, at the self-serve you have to "Please place
the item in the bag" before you can continue. Some people eh

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 12:27:24 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> Wouldn't it be great if, after the 15th item, the thing said:
>
> "This lane is for 15 items or less.  Because you are scanning more than
> 15 items, we are imposing a 10% surcharge on your purchase.  Thank you
> for needlessly enriching us while simultaneously pissing off everyone in
> line behind you."

I'd love something like that. :-)

Jim