POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: First digital camera Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First digital camera (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: First digital camera
Date: 28 Aug 2007 07:22:52
Message: <op.txrojaj8c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:42:44 +0100, Chambers
<ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> did spake, saying:

> So, we recently celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary.  Since we love
> the ocean, we decided to drive down the Oregon coast (we live in
> Portland).
>
> Since Kimberly loves pictures, and we normally take 5-10 disposable
> cameras on any given road trip, I bought a digital camera with a 2gb
> flash card.  The Nikon L10, not a bad little camera (I would really
> prefer a DSLR like the D80, but price, unfortunately, is an issue for
> us), 5 megapixels so the pictures will come out decent.
>
> And, on the second day of our trip, Kimberly dropped the camera in the
> sand.

Watch that with the Canon I've heard reports that the lens motor can be
quite contaminant-sensitive, same with it trying to extend when physically
restricted; not had any problems myself though. Judging by the titles I'm
guessing it got dropped about photo 63 :-)

> So, what were we going to do?  We couldn't continue without being able
> to take pictures, and one day of shooting (we already had more than 200
> pictures!) had hooked us on the versatility of a digital (*especially*
> being able to delete the bad photos),

Oh yeah, once you go digital you can never go back.

> so... we bought *another* camera, with a higher resolution than the
> first!  (The Canon A550, 7 megapixels).

Regarding the later comments about quality I see that the L10 and the A550
have the same sensor size, but the Canon uses all of its sensors whereas
the Nikon only used 4.9m
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cpl10.asp

> Anyway, we came home with more than 700 pictures, and I finally got
> around to posting some of them on my website.  You might notice, in
> looking at them, that I have a thing for water :)

Looking good, I liked 21, 60, 63, and 86. Looks like you had a good trip
and celebration.

--
Phil Cook