POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 08:38:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 9 Aug 2020 14:55:00
Message: <web.5f3045d617b7b05f1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> great, there's news in the news section, and the HOF images change.  (it feels
> ... less abandoned.  thanks)

Something in the news section (2 years old) that I think we could use over here
is
"Call for Participation"

http://www.realtimerendering.com/raytracinggems/rtg2/index.html

We invite articles on the following topics:

Basic ray tracing algorithms (intersection testing, spatial data structures,
etc.)
Unified lighting schemes
Shadows, reflections, ambient occlusion, etc.
Reconstruction, denoising, and filtering
Rasterization and ray tracing hybrids
Particles, volumetrics, and hair
Level of detail (geometric, material, and texture)
Animation schemes
Global Illumination
Occlusion Culling
Materials and BRDFs
Efficiency and best practices
Non-graphics applications (audio, collision, physics, etc.)
Virtual Reality (VR/AR/XR/MR)
Deep learning
....and any other notable work related to ray tracing
Articles will be primarily judged on practical utility. Though longer articles
with novel results are welcome, short practical articles with battle-tested
techniques are preferred and highly encouraged.

I have learned a lot from many people here on the forums and through contacting
people in academia and industry who have been kind enough to take the time to
correspond and add to my knowledge of many interesting topics.

There are a lot of topics covered in the above list that I and others have
requested or at least alluded to, and some have been worked on and developed to
some extent by the very busy folks here in our little corner of the internet.

Perhaps we could add a similar page to the POV-Ray HOME, and "seed" it with some
existing material simply written up a bit more formally as an article addressing
a specific topic.
A secondary benefit of doing this would be to invite material from academics,
hobbyists, and professionals, and provide a nice and convenient reason to
request the use of material they may already have published elsewhere.

This could also function as a mechanism to find qualified people who may have an
interest in POV-Ray and who could do some further developmental work.   ;)