POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : CoffeeMug upgraded slightly Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:05:20 EDT (-0400)
  CoffeeMug upgraded slightly (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: CoffeeMug upgraded slightly
Date: 20 May 2013 22:40:01
Message: <web.519adbd2ad45106e78641e0c0@news.povray.org>
The other day, while trying to model black coffee (high absorption, no
scattering), I noticed an artifact where the top of the coffee met the wall of
the mug.  This looked superficially like an epsilon-related artifact, but
scaling the whole scene to use a smaller POV-unit would have been too difficult.
 Instead, I introduced a contact angle to the meniscus, hoping that would
mitigate the problem.

Alas, unless I used an unrealistically wide contact angle, there was little
difference.  Still, I figured, I went through figuring out all this geometry, I

control of the meniscus.  The new version is 1.3a.  Carbonation for the rum and
Coke is still not included, but the documentation now provides a link to where
you can get some.

Much to my surprise, CoffeeMug has been my most popular contribution, with 1723
downloads (not including my own sanity checks).  It is the 13th most popular
object overall, out of 87.