POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Texture or Material Collection Server Time
16 Apr 2024 02:37:16 EDT (-0400)
  Texture or Material Collection (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Reactor
Subject: Texture or Material Collection
Date: 10 Jul 2008 14:30:01
Message: <web.487654d9767d1b63840c749b0@news.povray.org>
I think it would be fitting to have a texture collection in addition to the
object collection.

It could be organized by what they are (pigment, finish, normal, texture, etc),
whether they are purely procedural or are image based, whether or not they can
be tiled, etc in addition to what real world object the texture is supposed to
represent.

I think it would be a good idea to have some guidelines for image-based
textures, such as strongly recommending that contributors use png (since it is
both web viewable and pov supported) and recommending that they provide both a
lower resolution version of the texture (for scenes or animations in which it
is farther away) and a higher resolution version.

I also think the contributor should supply some example code, perhaps in a
standardized way to demonstrate how it can be tiled or the scaling vectors to
display it at the right aspect ratio in pov.  While most of that is trivial to
experienced povray users, I feel it would be very helpful to those learning to
use povray.  It would also be helpful if the texture is meant to go on certain
primitives or uses UV mapping, etc.

Anyway, something to think about.

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message