POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Draw powerline wire on image background Server Time: 22 Nov 2019 04:39:36 GMT
  Draw powerline wire on image background (Message 1 to 10 of 13)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: alessio diluzio94@gmail com
Subject: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 22 Oct 2019 10:10:00
Message: <web.5daed46f8fb75c41ad6bf02d0@news.povray.org>
Hello Everybody ,i'm new to Pov Ray engine.
I need to draw powerline wire on a background png image that i've in my pc.
I have tried using sphere_sweep but the result are not really encouraging.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 22 Oct 2019 11:35:43
Message: <5daee98f$1@news.povray.org>
Op 22/10/2019 om 12:05 schreef ale### [at] gmailcom:
> Hello Everybody ,i'm new to Pov Ray engine.
> I need to draw powerline wire on a background png image that i've in my pc.
> I have tried using sphere_sweep but the result are not really encouraging.
> 
> 

I think you may be helped with one or both attached applications. One is 
by Lance Purple, the other by PM 2Ring. They show how to model catenaries.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'pylon.zip' (10 KB)
Download 'catenary.zip' (6 KB)

From: Dick Balaska
Subject: Re: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 22 Oct 2019 13:40:18
Message: <5daf06c2$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/22/19 7:35 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> 
> I think you may be helped with one or both attached applications. One is 
> by Lance Purple, the other by PM 2Ring. They show how to model catenaries.
> 

Catenary.zip: Nice!  Hmm, mixed feelings.  I am happy I worked it out 
when I had to slice a torus by tangents and arc-cosines, but this would 
have saved me *so* much time. :)

-- 
dik
Rendered 15941836800 of 40928716800 pixels (38%)


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 22 Oct 2019 17:20:01
Message: <web.5daf39e6cf776ee04eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"ale### [at] gmailcom" <ale### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello Everybody ,i'm new to Pov Ray engine.
> I need to draw powerline wire on a background png image that i've in my pc.
> I have tried using sphere_sweep but the result are not really encouraging.

So, we have no idea WHY the results are not really encouraging - perhaps say
what you're tried, and maybe post the specific code that you're using, and we
can probably offer more detailed assistance.


http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.574cb010874919d05e7df57c0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=428388
&toff=450


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 23 Oct 2019 06:28:30
Message: <5daff30e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 22/10/2019 om 15:40 schreef Dick Balaska:
> On 10/22/19 7:35 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> 
>>
>> I think you may be helped with one or both attached applications. One 
>> is by Lance Purple, the other by PM 2Ring. They show how to model 
>> catenaries.
>>
> 
> Catenary.zip: Nice!  Hmm, mixed feelings.  I am happy I worked it out 
> when I had to slice a torus by tangents and arc-cosines, but this would 
> have saved me *so* much time. :)
> 

I understand your feelings indeed. Much is covered in dust and needs to 
be extracted from the hidden storerooms. ;-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 23 Oct 2019 11:22:34
Message: <5db037fa$1@news.povray.org>
I also came across a catenary application by Rob Antonishen from back in 
2002. I can post a zip if anyone is interested.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: alessio diluzio94@gmail com
Subject: Re: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 23 Oct 2019 13:50:00
Message: <web.5db059c5cf776ee0ad6bf02d0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> I also came across a catenary application by Rob Antonishen from back in
> 2002. I can post a zip if anyone is interested.
>
> --
> Thomas

Yes,please.
Thank you.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 24 Oct 2019 07:06:14
Message: <5db14d66$1@news.povray.org>
Op 23/10/2019 om 15:46 schreef ale### [at] gmailcom:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> I also came across a catenary application by Rob Antonishen from back in
>> 2002. I can post a zip if anyone is interested.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
> 
> Yes,please.
> Thank you.
> 
> 

OK. I shall put a zip file (together with the two previous ones) in 
povray.binaries.utilities, for better later access.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: alessio diluzio94@gmail com
Subject: Re: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 24 Oct 2019 13:00:00
Message: <web.5db19faecf776ee0ad6bf02d0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 22/10/2019 om 12:05 schreef ale### [at] gmailcom:
> > Hello Everybody ,i'm new to Pov Ray engine.
> > I need to draw powerline wire on a background png image that i've in my pc.
> > I have tried using sphere_sweep but the result are not really encouraging.
> >
> >
>
> I think you may be helped with one or both attached applications. One is
> by Lance Purple, the other by PM 2Ring. They show how to model catenaries.
>
> --
> Thomas

In catenary.zip is used torus as connecting elements ,is it possibile to use
other object to make something like a power line wires ? i think cylinder is the
right choice but i don't know who to insert it in che catenary


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Draw powerline wire on image background
Date: 24 Oct 2019 17:35:00
Message: <web.5db1e0a7cf776ee04eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"ale### [at] gmailcom" <ale### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> In catenary.zip is used torus as connecting elements ,is it possibile to use
> other object to make something like a power line wires ? i think cylinder is the
> right choice but i don't know who to insert it in che catenary

Typically one would use a sphere_sweep object, or a series of cylinders
connecting spheres of the same diameter.  Try just using spheres to see if you
get a string of spheres that look like the right shape, and then fill in the
spaces with cylinders.  The shorter the distance between cylinders, the smoother
your curve will be.

The way I would approach this is by creating a scene with a loop that uses a
variable called Clock as a seed() value for creating the pseudo-random values
used for changing the endpoints of your catenary curve.

Then you can use #for (Clock, 1, 1) to just make a single catenary until you get
all of the rest of the code worked out and looking good, and then you can see
what it's like when you do something like #for (Clock, 1, 10).

If THAT looks good, then you can comment out the loop, and set your seed with
the animation _clock_, and then you will have a different curve for every frame.


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.