POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Need help to measure performance of Povray Server Time
23 Apr 2024 19:29:13 EDT (-0400)
  Need help to measure performance of Povray (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Deepak
Subject: Re: Need help to measure performance of Povray
Date: 5 Jul 2019 07:25:01
Message: <web.5d1f330189b056254056c6480@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> Le 19-07-02 à 04:48, Deepak a écrit :
> > Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> >> Some things that you can do that will increase the rendering time :
> >> (original values from the ini file)
> >> For the INI file :
> >> Increase the resolution. Something like 4000 by 4000 (512 by 512)
> >> Lower the antialias threshold to 0.01 (0.3) and Sampling_method=2 (1)
> >> Set High_Reproducibility=on (off)
> >>
> >> Within the scene itself :
> >> Turn radiosity ON (this will have a large effect):
> >> #declare use_radiosity = true; (false)
> >> In the global_settings block:
> >> Set max_trace_level to 255 (12)
> >> Increase the radiosity count to 800 (80)
> >> Set nearest_count to 20 (5)
> >> Reduce error_bound to 0.2, or even 0.1 (0.5)
> >> Change low_error_factor to 0.2 (0.5)
> >> Increase recursion_limit to 3 (1)
> >> Increase the photons quality:
> >> Set photons{spacing 0.001} (0.007) [this will multiply the number of
> >> photons shot by 49]
> >>
> >> Change the area_light:
> >> light_source {
> >>      <-0.7, 0.83, 0.24>*150000
> >>      color rgb <3.43,2.87,1.95>
> >>      #if (use_area_light=true)
> >>         area_light 4000*x 4000*y  129,129 (4,4)
> >>     adaptive 3 //added Will start sampling at 9 by 9
> >>         jitter
> >>         orient
> >>         circular
> >>      #end
> >>
> >>      media_attenuation on
> >>      media_interaction on
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >> In the definition of M_Watx4, add dispersion :
> >>      interior {
> >>         ior 1.31
> >> dispersion 1.01 //added
> >> dispersion_samples 20 //added, default = 7
> >>         fade_distance 0.8
> >>         fade_power 1001.0
> >>         fade_color <0.02, 0.20, 0.06>
> >>      }
> >> Do the same for Mat_Glass :
> >>      interior {
> >>         ior 1.5
> >> dispersion 1.02 //added
> >> dispersion_samples 20 //added
> >>         fade_distance 0.12
> >>         fade_power 1001
> >>         fade_color <0.6, 0.5, 0.7>
> >>      }
> >>
> >> Change the media used for the clouds:
> >> samples 120 (7,7)
> >

> > Hi Alain,
> >
> > Thanks for your suggestion. I tried changing benchmark.pov and benchmark.ini
> > files and observed that render time is increased too much. The application is
> > running for hours. Is it expected?
>
> Absolutely.
>
> ALL of my suggestions are intended at making the render time go up.
> Some, like radiosity and area_light, affect the rendering speed for
> every pixel. Anti aliasing make higher contrast areas take longer.
> Other, like adding dispersion, only affect the areas where you have
> transparent objects.
>
> Increasing the resolution mean that there are now WAY more pixels to render.

> [...]

Hi Alain,
Thank you for so much for this info. By modifying few parameters I am able to
finish it in considerable time.
I have one doubt regarding running the benchmark-

I am using two approach, and seeing difference in the render time and gather
function called. Also when using 2nd command I can see image as a popup window
but not with 1st command. Could you please tell me which one is correct and more
appropriate.

1) bin/povray benchmark.ini

Gather function called:        14333759
Render Time:
  Photon Time:      0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1.407 seconds)
              using 259 thread(s) with 1.644 CPU-seconds total
  Radiosity Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  7 seconds (7.134 seconds)
              using 256 thread(s) with 873.427 CPU-seconds total
  Trace Time:       0 hours 29 minutes 35 seconds (1775.604 seconds)
              using 256 thread(s) with 146934.469 CPU-seconds total

2) bin/povray   benchmark.pov

Gather function called:         9136088

Render Time:
  Photon Time:      0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1.403 seconds)
              using 259 thread(s) with 1.649 CPU-seconds total
  Radiosity Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  9 seconds (9.880 seconds)
              using 256 thread(s) with 1263.194 CPU-seconds total
  Trace Time:       0 hours  6 minutes 56 seconds (416.090 seconds)
              using 256 thread(s) with 51868.958 CPU-seconds total

Thanks,
Deepak