POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Something amiss in my Prism {} object Server Time
16 Apr 2024 15:50:01 EDT (-0400)
  Something amiss in my Prism {} object (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Something amiss in my Prism {} object
Date: 2 Nov 2018 21:00:00
Message: <web.5bdcf2496fc865db765e06870@news.povray.org>
Having some trouble getting my prism to work.
Can anyone catch where the bug is?

 #local _Spline = dimension_size (ToothPrismArray, 1)-1;
 #debug concat ( "_Points = 0-", str (_Point, 3, 0),  " points \n")
 #debug concat ( "_Spline has 0-", str (_Spline, 3, 0),  " elements \n")

 #local _Tooth = prism {
  cubic_spline
  0, 0.1, _Spline
  #for (SplinePoint, 0, _Spline)
   #debug concat ( "[", str (SplinePoint, 3, 0),  "] = ",  vstr(2,
ToothPrismArray[SplinePoint], ", ", 3, 0),"\n")

   ToothPrismArray [SplinePoint],
  #end
 }

_Points = 0-288 points
_Spline has 0-288 elements
[  0] =  14,  14
[  1] =  14,  -0     <---------- this
[  2] =  15,  -0

[286] =  15,   0
[287] =  14,  -0   <---------- DOES match this
[288] =  14, -14

line 190: Possible Parse Error: Too few points in prism.
Fatal error in parser: Uncategorized error.
Render failed

From the docs:
"Likewise, cubic splines need both the first and last points to be control
points, therefore, to close a shape made with a cubic spline, we must match the
second point to the second from last point. If we do not match the correct
points on a quadratic or cubic shape, that is when we will get the too few
points in prism error. POV-Ray is still waiting for us to close the shape, and
when it runs out of points without seeing the closure, an error is issued."

Post a reply to this message

> Having some trouble getting my prism to work.
> Can anyone catch where the bug is?

can you please post a/the complete scene?

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> Having some trouble getting my prism to work.
> Can anyone catch where the bug is?

>   #local _Tooth = prism {
>    cubic_spline
>    0, 0.1, _Spline
>    #for (SplinePoint, 0, _Spline)
>
> _Points = 0-288 points
> _Spline has 0-288 elements
> [  0] =  14,  14
> [  1] =  14,  -0     <---------- this
> [  2] =  15,  -0

> [286] =  15,   0
> [287] =  14,  -0   <---------- DOES match this
> [288] =  14, -14

See a couple things.

You have 289 points (0-288) but specify 288 in the line:

0, 0.1, _Spline

(Guessing no syntax issue because the spline not closed error comes
first. Parser thinks [286] 'should be' the on curve closing point and
[287] the off curve ending control point)

Second, I 'suspect' the last three points should likely be:

[286] = 14, 14
[287] = 14, -0
[288] = 15, -0

Believe it the case you only need match point_list 2 to point_list end-1
to close the cubic prism. However, if you want to match the continuity
about that closing point, the effective control points previous and
after must match too. In other words, it's common to repeat the first
three points as the last three points with the prism's cubic spline.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message