POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Emitting media Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Emitting media (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Loren
Subject: Emitting media
Date: 31 Aug 2017 19:00:01
Message: <web.59a894a889ceac4b1d4ddc70@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm having great difficult getting emitting media (glowing red media, as in a
laser), in my scenes. First, a simple example which doesn't work:

-------------
// #include "shapes.inc"
// #include "colors.inc"
//
// camera {
// location 10
// look_at 0
//  angle 45
// }
// light_source { 10
//  color rgb<1, 1, 1> }
// sphere { 0, 1 color rgb<1,0,0> }

#include "colors.inc"

background { color White }

camera {
  location <0, 2, -3>
  look_at <0, 1, 2>
}

sphere {
  <0, 1, 2>, 2
  texture {
    pigment { color rgbf 1 }
  }
  hollow
  interior{
       media{ emission Red intervals 30 samples 100,100 }
  }
}

light_source { <2, 4, -3> color White}

-------------

even though it does work without the "media". What I'd really like to do is add
a red laser to the following scene, but all I get is a hollow tube. I've tried
both emitting and scattering media with no success. See especially the cylinder
that I've marked with a [+].  Please help me,

-------------
// This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
License.
// To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
// or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain
View,
// California, 94041, USA.

// Persistence Of Vision raytracer sample file.
// Utah Teapot w/ Bezier patches
// adapted by Alexander Enzmann
//
// -w320 -h240
// -w800 -h600 +a0.3

// Updated: 09Aug2008 (jh) for v3.7 distribution
// Updated: 28Sep2008 (cjc): change texture, checker color, background color.

#version 3.6;

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  photons {
      spacing 0.2
      autostop 1
      media 60
      max_trace_level 6
  }
}

#include "shapes.inc"
#include "shapesq.inc"
#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"
#include "metals.inc"

#declare Use_Photons = yes;

#declare Teapot_Texture = T_Chrome_5E;
#declare Teapot_Orientation = <260., 0., 0.>;

#include "teapot.inc"

camera {
   location  <0.0, 0.0, -10.0>
   angle 95 // direction <0.0, 0.0,  1.0>
   up        <0.0, 1.5,  0.0>
   right x*image_width/image_height
}

light_source { 0.25*<10.0, 40.0, -30.0> colour White media_interaction on}
//light_source { <-5.0, -5.0, -5.0> colour White media_interaction on}

object{teapot translate -7.95*y-4*x}

/* Floor */
plane {
   y, -8

   texture {
      pigment {
          color red 0.9822 green 0.9015 blue 0.7695
         scale 5
      }
   }
}

/* Back wall */
 plane {
    z, 100
    hollow on
    texture { pigment { color red 0.9903 green 0.9618 blue 0.9584 } }
}

/* Scattering media */
#declare M1 = <-0.5, -5.25, 0.5>;
light_source { M1+5*y
               color rgb <1.,0.,0.> // ,0.3>
               cylinder
               // spotlight
               point_at M1
               radius 0.5
               falloff 0.5
               tightness 0 }
//box{
//    M1 - 2*(x+y+z), M1 + 2*(x+y+z)
//    pigment {rgbt <0.,0.4,0.4,0.9> } hollow
//    interior
//    { media
//        { scattering { 1, rgb <0.1,0.1,0.1> extinction 0.9 }
//            samples 300, 1000
//        }
//    }
//}
[+] cylinder{ M1+5*y, M1, 0.1 pigment {rgbf 1} hollow // texture { pigment {
color red 1.0 green 0.0 blue 0.0 } finish { ambient 1.0 } }
    interior
    { media { emission <1.0,0.0,0.0>*72000 samples 5000,5000 } }
    //{ media { scattering {1, rgb <1,0,0> extinction 0.01 } } }
}

/* Molecule */
//#declare M1 = <13., 11., -2.>;
object {molecule
           scale 0.25 translate M1}

// light_source { <0,0,0> color rgb <1.,0.,0.> cylinder point_at <5,5,5> radius
10 falloff 10 tightness 0 photons {reflection on} }

#declare TRAN = <1., 1., 3.>*0.5;
#declare RS = seed(1069);
//sphere {<0,0,0>, 1. texture{ pigment{ color Yellow }} translate M1} //rgb
<51.,28.,88.>/256.}}}
//sphere {<0,0,0>, 1. texture{ pigment{ color Yellow }} translate M1+TRAN} //rgb
<51.,28.,88.>/256.}}}
union{
#for (cntr, 0, 2)
     #declare randv = (<rand(RS), rand(RS), rand(RS)>-0.5)*8;
     #declare randrot = <rand(RS), rand(RS), rand(RS)>*360.;
     object {molecule rotate randrot translate randv}
#end
    scale 0.15 translate M1 + <1., 1., -1.>*2
}

#declare TRAN = M1*10-z*2;
#declare RS = seed(1069);
//sphere {<0,0,0>, 1. texture{ pigment{ color Yellow }} translate M1} //rgb
<51.,28.,88.>/256.}}}
//sphere {<0,0,0>, 1. texture{ pigment{ color Yellow }} translate M1+TRAN} //rgb
<51.,28.,88.>/256.}}}
union{
#for (cntr, 0, 9)
     #declare randv = (<rand(RS), rand(RS), rand(RS)>-0.5)*8.;
     #declare randrot = <rand(RS), rand(RS), rand(RS)>*360.;
     object {molecule rotate randrot translate randv}
#end
    scale 0.10 translate M1 + <1., 1., -1.>*3.5
}

#declare debugin = false;

#declare My_Water = material {
  texture {
    pigment{ rgbf <0.9, 0.95, 1.0, 0.7> }
    normal {
      ripples 0.5
      frequency 5
    }
    finish {
        reflection {0.5, 1 fresnel}
        conserve_energy
    }
  }
  interior { ior 1.33 }
}

//make close drops
// #declare r1=seed(19873445);
// #declare  i = 200;
// #while (i < 550)
//   sphere{
//     <-500*rand(r1)+250,-300*rand(r1)+300+10,450*rand(r1)+20>,4.5*rand(r1)+1
//     #if (debugin = false)
//       material{My_Water scale 4*rand(r1)+3 rotate<360*rand(r1),
// 360*rand(r1), 360*rand(r1)>}
//     #else
//       //must use random numbers so sequency will stay same as when not
// debugin
//       #declare dummy1=rand(r1);
//       #declare dummy2=rand(r1);
//       #declare dummy3=rand(r1);
//       #declare dummy4=rand(r1);
//       pigment{Blue}
//     #end
//     translate z-30
//     rotate x*40
//   }
//   #declare i = i + 1;
// #end

#declare drop = quartic{ <
      0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
        0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -4, 0, 0, 0, 0,
          -1, 2, 0, -2, 1> }

object{ drop material{My_Water scale 1.0 rotate 22.0} scale 0.25 rotate -90*x
translate M1 + <1., 1., -1.>*5}

-------------------------

Post a reply to this message

> I'm having great difficult getting emitting media (glowing red media, as in a
> laser), in my scenes. First, a simple example which doesn't work:
>
> background { color White }
>
> sphere {
>   <0, 1, 2>, 2
>   texture {
>     pigment { color rgbf 1 }
>   }
>   hollow
>   interior{
>        media{ emission Red intervals 30 samples 100,100 }
>   }
> }

The pure white background is the trouble there, the emitting media can't
subtract from that, yet scattering or absorbing media would.

> even though it does work without the "media". What I'd really like to do is add
> a red laser to the following scene, but all I get is a hollow tube. I've tried
> both emitting and scattering media with no success. See especially the cylinder
> that I've marked with a [+].

Although the parameters have been needlessly cranked up, which I presume you did
to try gaining a visible media, the problem is apparently the quartic "drop"
object at the end of the scene file.

If you add 'inverse' keyword to the "drop" the following will appear okay. I
don't know much of anything about quartic but somehow it's applying its material
to everything else without inverse being there.

While hollow will also fix that emitting media visibility it doesn't rid the
water material wrapping around the laser cylinder in version 3.7 (and 3.7.1-rc),
however material isn't seen on this cylinder in v3.6.

cylinder{ M1+5*y, M1, 0.1 pigment {rgbf 1}
hollow on
    interior
    { media { emission <10,0.0,0.0> absorption <0,1,1> samples 5} }
}

Post a reply to this message

"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> "Loren" <gre### [at] umnedu> wrote:
> >
> > I'm having great difficult getting emitting media (glowing red media, as in a
> > laser), in my scenes. First, a simple example which doesn't work:
> >
> > background { color White }
> >
> > sphere {
> >   <0, 1, 2>, 2
> >   texture {
> >     pigment { color rgbf 1 }
> >   }
> >   hollow
> >   interior{
> >        media{ emission Red intervals 30 samples 100,100 }
> >   }
> > }
>
> The pure white background is the trouble there, the emitting media can't
> subtract from that, yet scattering or absorbing media would.
>
> > even though it does work without the "media". What I'd really like to do is add
> > a red laser to the following scene, but all I get is a hollow tube. I've tried
> > both emitting and scattering media with no success. See especially the cylinder
> > that I've marked with a [+].
>
> Although the parameters have been needlessly cranked up, which I presume you did
> to try gaining a visible media, the problem is apparently the quartic "drop"
> object at the end of the scene file.
>
> If you add 'inverse' keyword to the "drop" the following will appear okay. I
> don't know much of anything about quartic but somehow it's applying its material
> to everything else without inverse being there.
>
> While hollow will also fix that emitting media visibility it doesn't rid the
> water material wrapping around the laser cylinder in version 3.7 (and 3.7.1-rc),
> however material isn't seen on this cylinder in v3.6.
>
> cylinder{ M1+5*y, M1, 0.1 pigment {rgbf 1}
> hollow on
>     interior
>     { media { emission <10,0.0,0.0> absorption <0,1,1> samples 5} }
> }

Realizing now I left 'absorption' in there (copy paste), laser light won't cause
a shadow like that.

And I should have mentioned you could use a cylindrical density map too, for
making the beam edges fade. Only need to scale appropriately.

Bob

Post a reply to this message