POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Incomplete installation on Windows 7 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:10:38 EDT (-0400)
  Incomplete installation on Windows 7 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: GeorgeB
Subject: Incomplete installation on Windows 7
Date: 24 Jan 2017 09:45:01
Message: <web.588767b5ef3e03a82d5ada3d0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

As you can understand I am fairly new to the site.

I have downloaded the windows installer and tried to perform the installation on
a standalone machine.
Pov-ray did not make any shortcuts on the desktop or any menu entries.

Anyway, I thought I could make the links myself so I exported some .POV and .INI
files from my cad program and tried to load them to POV-ray.

There POV-Ray gave me an error that it could not load the .ini file.

I then tried to use the demo to see what is the proper procedure to load the
files but I have noticed that there was not INI directory in the POV-Ray
installation tree under .../ProgramFiles/POV-Ray/v3.7/ directory.

I think that something was not done correctly with the installation.

I would appreciate any help on the matter.

Kind regards

George

Post a reply to this message

> I have downloaded the windows installer and tried to perform the installation on
> a standalone machine.
> Pov-ray did not make any shortcuts on the desktop or any menu entries.
>
> Anyway, I thought I could make the links myself so I exported some .POV and .INI
> files from my cad program and tried to load them to POV-ray.
>
> There POV-Ray gave me an error that it could not load the .ini file.

What version of POV-Ray are you using, and what binary (32-bit, 32-bit
SSE2, or 64-bit)?

Also, it might be helpful to know where you obtained the installer from,
and what version the installer identifies as (right-click in Windows
Explorer, properties, details).

If you are aware of any ways in which your installation of Windows is
might be unconventional, please also let us know.

> I then tried to use the demo to see what is the proper procedure to load the
> files but I have noticed that there was not INI directory in the POV-Ray
> installation tree under .../ProgramFiles/POV-Ray/v3.7/ directory.

POV-Ray 3.7 installs the user-specific stuff, and even the sample scenes
and standard include files, in <DOCUMENTS>/POV-Ray/v3.7/ to avoid
potential problems with access rights.

> I think that something was not done correctly with the installation.

Sounds like that, though I'm not aware of any similar reports in over 3
years.

Some things you could attempt:

- Uninstall and re-install POV-Ray.
- Run "pvengine64.exe /INSTALL" (presuming you're using a 64-bit OS).
- Try the current 3.7.1-beta.2 instead (note that it will install in
"v3.7-beta" rather than "v3.7").

Post a reply to this message