POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Real mountain 3D-profile Server Time
29 Mar 2024 05:48:00 EDT (-0400)
  Real mountain 3D-profile (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Martin Lacher
Subject: Real mountain 3D-profile
Date: 3 Nov 2015 06:10:00
Message: <web.563895b94d395aaa426ff40@news.povray.org>
Hi,

For a school project with my class, we drew a mesh over mount Pilate
(switzerland) and extracted all heights from the map. I already plotted a
3D-surface in Excel, but I thought, using povray I could somehow take a satelite
picture of the area a render a nice image of the mountain.
My problem is that I didn't use povray for a long time and thus don't know how
to do this in a quick way.
As far as I saw, I can't use height field. Should I use mesh or mesh2? How to
get my texture picture over the mesh?

Maybe somebody out there can solve my problem in no time... ;) Thanks in
advance!

Regards,

Martin

Post a reply to this message

On 3-11-2015 12:08, Martin Lacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a school project with my class, we drew a mesh over mount Pilate
> (switzerland) and extracted all heights from the map. I already plotted a
> 3D-surface in Excel, but I thought, using povray I could somehow take a satelite
> picture of the area a render a nice image of the mountain.
> My problem is that I didn't use povray for a long time and thus don't know how
> to do this in a quick way.
> As far as I saw, I can't use height field. Should I use mesh or mesh2? How to
> get my texture picture over the mesh?
>
> Maybe somebody out there can solve my problem in no time... ;) Thanks in
> advance!

Just thinking aloud: you will need to uv-map your mesh. I suppose you
can export the mesh as an obj file for instance, and load that into an
appropriate program like Wings3D (free) where you can uv-map the mesh,
export again and turn it into a mesh2 file with Poseray, and finally
render in POV-Ray. That is the way I would take.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 11/3/2015 12:41 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 3-11-2015 12:08, Martin Lacher wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For a school project with my class, we drew a mesh over mount Pilate
>> (switzerland) and extracted all heights from the map. I already plotted a
>> 3D-surface in Excel, but I thought, using povray I could somehow take
>> a satelite
>> picture of the area a render a nice image of the mountain.
>> My problem is that I didn't use povray for a long time and thus don't
>> know how
>> to do this in a quick way.
>> As far as I saw, I can't use height field. Should I use mesh or mesh2?
>> How to
>> get my texture picture over the mesh?
>>
>> Maybe somebody out there can solve my problem in no time... ;) Thanks in
>> advance!
>>

> Just thinking aloud: you will need to uv-map your mesh. I suppose you
> can export the mesh as an obj file for instance, and load that into an
> appropriate program like Wings3D (free) where you can uv-map the mesh,
> export again and turn it into a mesh2 file with Poseray, and finally
> render in POV-Ray. That is the way I would take.

This tutorial might be useful

Using UV-mapping with POV-Ray meshes

https://www.mediaport.net/CP/Artichaud/Tran/sources/tutuve.htm

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

"Martin Lacher" <fue### [at] gmxch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a school project with my class, we drew a mesh over mount Pilate
> (switzerland) and extracted all heights from the map. I already plotted a
> 3D-surface in Excel, but I thought, using povray I could somehow take a satelite
> picture of the area a render a nice image of the mountain.
> My problem is that I didn't use povray for a long time and thus don't know how
> to do this in a quick way.
> As far as I saw, I can't use height field. Should I use mesh or mesh2? How to
> get my texture picture over the mesh?
>
> Maybe somebody out there can solve my problem in no time... ;) Thanks in
> advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin

If I understand your problem correctely mesh will be easier than mesh2. You
define a triangle for every triangle in your Excel-data and specify the
uv-vectors as the x and z component of your triangle, if y is up, or the x and y
component, if z is up. With mesh2 you have to bother about the indices of the
Vertices. Internally both objects are the same.

If you have defined proper uv-vectors you can texture your mesh with something
like

texture{
   uv_mapping pigment{ Image_map { jpeg "YourSatelliteImage.jpg"} }
}

Since I never plottet surfaces with Excel, I have no idea how your data are
arranged. So I can give you this hints only.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message