POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why doesn't this work? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 14:03:34 EDT (-0400)
  Why doesn't this work? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Why doesn't this work?
Date: 7 Sep 2014 23:15:01
Message: <web.540d1f2a9ef2f49b5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
I can't get the example in the docs to work, or the candle flame example from F.
Lohmueller's site.  I've probably tried 5 others.

I've been at this for hours, and I'm done searching and testing.

I'm clearly missing something.
[0 rgb 0] wipes out the sphere completely - no color, no "light"
THAT drove me crazy for most of the time.
Commenting that out finally gave me a semitransparent sphere of the next color
in the map.  Adding absorbing media just makes it look more solid.
I don't get any sort of transparent glowing effect like shown in the examples
for this copy-and pasted code.  The first is from the docs, the second is from
F. Lohmueller's candle flame example.

Why?

box {<-300, 0, 100>, <300, 400, 101> pigment {Gray50}}
//sphere {<0, 0, 0> 100 pigment {rgbf <0.6, 0, 0, 0.9>} translate y*270}
//light_source {<0, 270, 10> color rgb <1, 1, 1>}

/*
sphere {<0, 270, 0>, 100
 pigment {rgbt 1} hollow
 interior {