POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Conserve energy. Help me. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:08:43 EDT (-0400)
  Conserve energy. Help me. (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: LanuHum
Subject: Conserve energy. Help me.
Date: 10 Aug 2014 09:00:01
Message: <web.53e76c41f2a4202b7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
The problem with the translation of documentation doesn't allow me to define:
with what parameters it is expedient to use conserve_energy?

finish{... conserve_energy}
finish{ diffuse 1 conserve_energy}  it makes sense?
or
finish { reflection { 0.03, 1 } conserve_energy}

I create nodes, and, it is important to me to define, in what node to place
checkbox conserve_energy?
:)
Help me, please!

Post a reply to this message

> The problem with the translation of documentation doesn't allow me to define:
> with what parameters it is expedient to use conserve_energy?
>
> finish{... conserve_energy}
> finish{ diffuse 1 conserve_energy}  it makes sense?
> or
> finish { reflection { 0.03, 1 } conserve_energy}
>
> I create nodes, and, it is important to me to define, in what node to place
> checkbox conserve_energy?
> :)
> Help me, please!

I haven't followed your work closely enough to know whether you have a
node for refraction/transparency, but that's where it should go, as it
modifies the math used for it.

Post a reply to this message

> > The problem with the translation of documentation doesn't allow me to define:
> > with what parameters it is expedient to use conserve_energy?
> >
> > finish{... conserve_energy}
> > finish{ diffuse 1 conserve_energy}  it makes sense?
> > or
> > finish { reflection { 0.03, 1 } conserve_energy}
> >
> > I create nodes, and, it is important to me to define, in what node to place
> > checkbox conserve_energy?
> > :)
> > Help me, please!
>
> I haven't followed your work closely enough to know whether you have a
> node for refraction/transparency, but that's where it should go, as it
> modifies the math used for it.

If I correctly understood, conserve_energy is used, if ior more than 1?

Post a reply to this message

> The problem with the translation of documentation doesn't allow me to define:
> with what parameters it is expedient to use conserve_energy?
>
> finish{... conserve_energy}
> finish{ diffuse 1 conserve_energy}  it makes sense?
> or
> finish { reflection { 0.03, 1 } conserve_energy}
>
> I create nodes, and, it is important to me to define, in what node to place
> checkbox conserve_energy?
> :)
> Help me, please!

conserve_energy is to be used whenever you have variable reflection and
any transparency. It can also make things simpler even with constant
reflection and transparency.

Having an ior or not don't mather.

I tend to use it with layered textures when the upper layer(s) have any
reflectivity.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

>>> The problem with the translation of documentation doesn't allow me to define:
>>> with what parameters it is expedient to use conserve_energy?
>>>
>>> finish{... conserve_energy}
>>> finish{ diffuse 1 conserve_energy}  it makes sense?
>>> or
>>> finish { reflection { 0.03, 1 } conserve_energy}
>>>
>>> I create nodes, and, it is important to me to define, in what node to place
>>> checkbox conserve_energy?
>>> :)
>>> Help me, please!
>>
>> I haven't followed your work closely enough to know whether you have a
>> node for refraction/transparency, but that's where it should go, as it
>> modifies the math used for it.
>
> If I correctly understood, conserve_energy is used, if ior more than 1?

It has an effect whenever ior /differs/ from 1 /and/ variable reflection
is enabled (either via two parameters for reflection, or via the
"fresnel" keyword).

Post a reply to this message