POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media scattering and photons doesn't work! Server Time
21 Jun 2024 01:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Media scattering and photons doesn't work! (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Media scattering and photons doesn't work!
Date: 27 Jul 2013 02:38:42
Message: <51f36af2@news.povray.org>
Am 27.07.2013 08:16, schrieb LanuHum:
> Hi.
> Problem:
> http://yadi.sk/d/NZMlm3V67GSZa
> 1. if scattering box == false and global setting photons == true:
> good image with photons
> 2. if scattering box == true and global setting photons == false:
> good image with scattering
> 3. if scattering box == true and global setting photons == true:
> bad image with scattering and photons!
>
> in scattering box:    photons { pass_through }
> but scattering box is visible :(
> why scattering box is visible?

> //--Scattering media box--
> box {
>      <-12.06,43.79,-27.81>,
>      <-0.03095,-11.48,17.8>
>      pigment { rgbt 1 } hollow
>      photons { pass_through }
>      interior {
>           media {
>                scattering { 1,
>                    <0.06998, 0.06998, 0.06998>
>                 extinction 0.01 }
>                samples 100
> }}}

Be aware that to get a really invisible box, setting the pigment to full
transparency is not enough. You also need to make sure that you disable
highlights.

By default, specular highlights are added to any material that does not
have an explicit "specular" statement. You will need to add:

     finish { specular 0 }

You might also want to explicitly turn off diffuse and ambient:

     finish { ambeint 0 diffuse 0 specular 0 }

I think it shouldn't make a difference for fully transparent surfaces,
but I might be mistaken there.

Post a reply to this message

> By default, specular highlights are added to any material that does not
> have an explicit "specular" statement. You will need to add:

Huh? I didn't know that! I thought that by default, and in the absence
of a specular statement, specular was 0.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Am 27.07.2013 09:25, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 27-7-2013 8:38, clipka wrote:
>> By default, specular highlights are added to any material that does not
>> have an explicit "specular" statement. You will need to add:
>
> Huh? I didn't know that! I thought that by default, and in the absence
> of a specular statement, specular was 0.

You are indeed right, just checked the code. I probably messed it up
with the defaults typically set by most of the scene templates from the
insert menu.

Post a reply to this message

> You are indeed right, just checked the code. I probably messed it up
> with the defaults typically set by most of the scene templates from the
> insert menu.

Pheeww.... my world almost toppled over ;-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 27 Jul 2013 08:00:01
Message: <web.51f3b574f0c558ea7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>

>      finish { ambeint 0 diffuse 0 specular 0 }

Didn't help. Changes not found.

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 29 Jul 2013 12:25:01
Message: <web.51f6971af0c558ea7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
"LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:

> >      finish { ambeint 0 diffuse 0 specular 0 }
> >

> Didn't help. Changes not found.

Yes!!!
{ scattering { 1, 0.07 extinction 0.01 } - bad way in my scene.
Good way - type 5 and eccentricity:
{ scattering { 5, 0.07 extinction 0.01 eccentricity 0.6 }

:)