POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Silly FOV Question Server Time
19 May 2024 17:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Silly FOV Question (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: How Camp
Subject: Silly FOV Question
Date: 19 Oct 2012 15:55:00
Message: <web.5081af33e3b927d8ad55ca430@news.povray.org>
Okay, I'm not really a new user, but this sure feels like a new user question,
so bear with me.  :)

I've got a really simple scene defined only by a camera and a cylinder (with
ambient 1 texture, so no light needed).  The camera is defined thus:

camera {
   location    <0, 0, -10>
   up          y
   right       (image_width/image_height)*x
   look_at     <0,0,0>
   angle       30
}

....and my cylinder thus:

cylinder {
   <0,-1,0>, <0,1,0>, 0.0125
   texture{pigment{color rgb 1} finish{ambient 1} }
   translate <0, 0, 0>
}

Obviously, this places the cylinder in the center of my otherwise empty scene.
I want to move the cylinder out to the *very* edge of my field of view.  I
expected this to be simple -- based on the scene geometry, I'd move my cylinder
out to 10*sin(15*pi/180) (which is about 2.59) in the x-direction:

translate <10*sin(15*pi/180), 0, 0>

However, I find that the cylinder is NOT right on the edge of my FOV, but
appears to be about 3.4% short.  If I adjust my translate value to:

translate <2.68, 0, 0>

....then it appears where I expected.

So, the obvious question is: what am I failing to account for?  Is there a
camera default that I'm failing to set?

Post a reply to this message