POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Height_field clipped_by a box Server Time
2 Jun 2024 12:50:04 EDT (-0400)
  Height_field clipped_by a box (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Height_field clipped_by a box
Date: 4 Sep 2012 00:02:19
Message: <50457d4b$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
>
> I didn't know all of these prerequisites, in particular the scale / transmate
> order.
>
> I think that clipka's right. I'll try his solution, that is setting ambient,
> diffuse, specular, phong,... to 0
>
> I'll try this out and let you know.
>
> Thanks for all your advice!
>
> Mat

Think of that like this:
If you translate THEN scale, the scaling will also affect the translate.
If you translate an object then rotate it or rotate an object NOT
created at the origin, it will make the object orbit around the origin.

When you do an isotropic scalling, like scale 3, and a rotation, the
order is not important because the scaling don't affect the shape of the
object.
But, if you do a deforming scaling, like scale<1,2,3>, and a rotation,
then the order WILL be very important.
scale<1,2,3> rotate<12,60,-15> gives a rotated, elongated object.
rotate<12,60,-15> scale<1,2,3> will result in a sheared object.
Try it with an unit box to see the difference by yourself.